Psychology Chapter 2 Notes.docx

9 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
Psychology 1000
Professor
Mark Holden

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 9 pages of the document.
Description
Chapter2: Studying Behaviour Scientifically Scientific Principles in Psychology Scientific Attitudes:  Curiosity o Must want to know ‘why’  Skepticism o ‘show me the evidence’ o ‘could there be another explanation?  Open Mindedness o Must be open minded to make conclusions Approaches to Understanding:  Hindsight Understanding  Relies on explanations after the fact  Good: Use hindsight to create testable hypotheses  Bad: past events can be explained in many ways  Understanding through scientific method:  Relies on prediction, control, and theory building  Good: satisfies curiosity, builds knowledge, generates principles that can be applied to new situations  Less Good: Prediction does not necessary mean understanding Steps in Scientific Process (5): 1. Identify a question of interest 2. Gather information and form hypothesis a. Hypothesis: a specific prediction; usually takes the form of an if-then statement 3. Test hypothesis through research 4. Analyze data, draw tentative conclusions, and report findings 5. Build body of knowledge Example: Kitty Genovese Building Theories:  Hypothesis: a specific prediction; usually takes the form of an if-then statement o Tends to deal with a single experiment o Basically, a prediction  Theory: set of formal statements that explains how and why certain events are related to one another o Much broader than hypotheses; an integrated network of predictions o Relate behaviour to causes  We use theories to come up with hypotheses, which are then tested o If research supports the predictions of the theory, we gain confidence in that theory o If the predictions are falsified, we modify or discard the theory  Because of this interplay between creating and testing theories, we say that theories are ‘self correcting’ Characteristics of Good Theories:  Incorporates existing facts and observations within a single, broad frame work o Organizes information meaningfully  It is testable o Generates new hypotheses and predictions o Accuracy can be evaluated  Predictions made by the theory are supported by the findings of the new research  Conforms to the law of parsimony Note about Theories:  Theories are never regarded as the absolute truth o Even if no experiment has falsified a certain theory, this does not mean that none ever will  This process of discarding old theories for newer, better ones is the essence of scientific progress Defining and Measuring Variables  Variable: any characteristic or factor that can vary o i.e. age, sex, height, hair colour, GPA, income, chocolate consumption  can vary between different people; may also vary within a given person over time o Psychological variables:  i.e. self-esteem, stress, intelligence  Operational definition: o defines a variable in terms of the specific procedure used to measure (or produce) it o translate abstract concepts into something observable and measurable  answers the question, ‘how will we measure it?’  i.e. academic performance  test score? Course grade? Overall GPA? Measuring Variables: (4)  Self-Report & Reports by Others: o Ask people to report their own knowledge, beliefs, feelings, experiences, behaviour, etc o Interviews, questionnaires o Hinges on participant’s honesty  Social Desirability Bias: tendency to respond in a socially acceptable manner, rather than how one truly feels/behaves  Trying to look good  Avoid this by: carefully wording questions  Ensuring participant anonymity and confidentiality  Over-Claiming Questionnaire – measures Social Desirability Bias  Measures of Overt Behaviour: o Record directly-observable behaviour  No need to infer anything (i.e. errors in learning a list of words, reaction time to braking) o Measurements must be reliable – Consistent observations  Experimenters who observe must be trained to use a specific coding system to ensure consistency between and within experimenters  Remember, empirical evidence must be systematic o Measurements should be unobtrusive  People and animals might behave differently when they know they are being watched  Researchers must ensure participant doesn’t realize they are being observed  Unobtrusive Measures: test isn’t obvious as to what is being measured  i.e. rate pleasantness of neutral pictures to test mood  Archival Measures: use records or documents that already exist  Student class grades to evaluate effectiveness of different teaching styles  Psychological Measures: o Specialized tests to measure many types of variables o i.e. Personality tests  ‘T/F: I prefer to be alone rather than attend social gatherings’  This type is essentially a specialized self-report  What do you see in this (ambiguous) picture? o Intelligence tests: we score intelligence based on performance  Physiological Measures: o Includes heart rate, blood pressure, respiration rate, hormones, brain function, etc… o We don’t always know what these mean, though  i.e. what is the link between heart rate and emotion?  Is it love? Stress? Excitement? Descriptive Methods of Research (3)  Descriptive research: describes how people and animals behave (especially in natural settings, ‘real life’)  Methods: o Case Studies o Naturalistic Observation o Survey  Case Studies (Descriptive) o In-depth analysis of one individual, a (small) group, or an event o Can use any of the methods of measuring variables o Advantages: great for rare phenomena, can challenge validity of scientific theories, can generate new ideas and hypotheses to be tested o Disadvantages: not good at determining cause and effect, not easily generalized, measurement bias (subjective observations) o i.e. Mel Goodale study on patient D.F.  object recognition vs. object orientation  Naturalistic Observation (Descriptive) o Researcher observes behaviour in its natural setting (typically relies on method of measuring overt behaviour) o Advantages: provide rich descriptions of behaviour in the ‘real world’ o Disadvantages: not good at determining cause and effect, measurement bias (subjective observations), presence of researcher may affect behaviour (should be unobtrusive)  Habituation: process by which organisms eventually ignore researcher presence  Survey Research (Descriptive) o Information is obtained by administering questionnaires, surveys, interviews o i.e. political polls, surveys that ask about behaviours, experiences, attitudes, etc. o i.e. Personality researchers gave people 2 questionnaires, one measured national character, other measured own personality. Results  stereotypes don’t equal reality o Critical that you have a representative sample  Representative sample: reflects the important characteristics of an entire population (If taking political poll, asking only people from Quebec or Alberta is not representative) o Population: entire group of the people you are interested in surveying o Sample: a subgroup of the population o Obtaining Representative Sample:  Random Sampling:  Every member of the population has an equal chance of being selected  Stratified Random Sampling:  Variation of random sampling  Divide population into known subgroups (i.e. male/female, ethnicity)  Make certain that the sample has the same proportions as the population  Use random sampling to select actual people in sample’s subgroups o Unrepresentative samples can lead to wrong results  1936 American Election  Internet surveys (no way to select people randomly)  Also people sometimes lie on internet surveys o Advantages: efficient way of collecting lots of data, can reveal changes in beliefs/habits over time o Disadvantages: cannot determine cause and effect, based on self-reports (social desirability bias, interview bias, inaccurate self-perceptions Descriptive Statistics:  Frequency Distribution: shows how many people got what score  Histogram: graph of the frequency distribution, frequency on the y-axis  Central Tendency: Mean (average), Median (middle number), Mode (most common) o Measures of variability  Range  Standard Deviation  Variance (deviation score)  Variance= sum (X-M)2/N  Standard deviation is the square route of the variance  68% within 1 SD either side of the mean  95 within 2 SD on either side of the mean  99.7% within 3 SD on either side of the mean  34.1%, 13.6,2.1 More Research Methods (2) Correlations:  Correlation Method: o Research technique in which two (or more) variables are measured to determine f they are related in any systematic way o Does not manipulate anything o Correlation studies asks:  Is there a relationship between ____ and ____?  NOT: If ____ causes ____?  Correlation studies allow us to answer a specific research question (i.e. Are beautiful people more popular?) o 3 Steps:  Researcher measures one variable  Researcher measures a second variable  Researcher statistically determined whether the two variables are related o Correlation: the degree to which variance in one variable can be accounted for by variance in another variable (i.e. If I know how beautiful someone is, how well can I estimate their popularity?) o Correlation studies say nothing about causes o 4 Steps:  Collect Data  Graph the data  Draw a line of best  Calculate the correlation coefficient o Positive Correlation: a relationship between variables where an increase in one is associated with an increase in the other o Negative correlation: a relationship between variables where an increase in one is associated with a decrease in the other o Zero = no correlation, they are unrelated o Numbers approaching 1 or -1 mean a very strong correlation, approaching zero means
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit