SY101 Chapter Notes - Chapter 8: Ascribed Status, The Authoritarian Personality, Ethnocentrism

38 views6 pages
School
Department
Course
adelefurman90 and 38202 others unlocked
SY101 Full Course Notes
SY101 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
8 documents

Document Summary

Sy101 chapter 8: inequalities of race and ethnicity. Race: a group with inherited physical characteristics that distinguish it from another group. According to common sense, our racial classifications represent biological differences. Sociologists think that what we call races are social classifications, not biological between people. differences. Lots of people think that their race is superior over others. I know what they"re like, or i know what i see and you can"t tell me any different. these are 2 common responses to why people believe their race is better. Thomas said, if people define situations as real, they are real in their consequences. What people believe affects social life because people act on what they believe, not on facts. Because of this, we treat people on what we believe about their culture, not on actual facts about them. People who identify with one another on the basis of common ancestry and cultural heritage.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers