Three main usages or application of Network application:
- Discovery - Communication - Collaboration
Meta-search engines: search several engines at once and integrate the findings of the
various search engines to answer queries posted by users.
Portal 入口 is a web-based, personalized gateway to information and knowledge that
provides relevant information from different IT systems and the Internet using advanced
search and indexing techniques.
Commercial (public) portal are intended for broad and diverse audiences, and they offer
fairly routine content, some in real time.
Affinity 类同 portals offer a single point of entry to an entire community of people with
affiliated interest, such as hobby groups or a political party
Corporate portals offer a personalized, single point of access through a web browser to
critical business information located inside and outside of an organization.
Industry-wide portal serve entire industries
Mobile portal are portals that are accessible from mobile devices
Types of Communication:
- E-mail - Web-based call centers
- Electronic chat room (web-based chat program and e-mail-based program)
- Voice Communication (Internet telephony/VoIP)
- Unified Communications (UC) simplifies and integrates all forms of communications
Collaboration Refers to efforts by two or more entities ( that is, individuals, teams, groups,
or organizations) who work together to accomplish certain tasks
- Workflow is the movement of information as it flows through the sequence of steps that
makes up an organization’s work procedures.
- Virtual collaboration refers to the use of digital technologies that enable organization or
individual to collaboratively (finished or develop) products, and innovative applications.
- Crowdsourcing, which refers to outsourcing a task to an undefined, generally large group
of people in the form of an open call
- Synchronous & Asynchronously 不同步的
- Microsoft SharePoint Workspace - IBM Lotus Quickr
- Google Dos - Jive
Electronic Teleconferencing is the use of electronic communication that allows two or more people
at different locations to hold a simultaneous conference.
Videoconference, participants in one location can see participants’ documents and presentations.
Telepresence, enables participants to seamlessly share data, voice, pictures,