MKTG 2030 Chapter 8: Chapter 8 – Marketing Communication Strategies
119 views5 pages
For unlimited access to Textbook Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
Chapter 8 – Marketing Communication Strategies
Old and New of Marketing Communications
• Customers are not the only targets --> suppliers, media, society, employees
• Customers want messages that are targeted at them --> will not respond to messages
that are targeted to the mass audience
• Customers have the power to create and distribute content
• Integrated marketing communications (IMC) - a framework to effectively integrate
different marketing communications tools to achieve strategic objectives
o 2 premises:
• Customers become progressively more involved with the brand
• Different tools have different uses
• Be designed to build long-term brand health, not short term gains
• Measure ROI of communication expenditures by using the right metrics
• Product –core/potential, functional and augmented
• Value you create is benefit of product and solving customer’s problem
• Value is the exchange of money for the product benefit, and feel good about it –
heavely dependant on the product, and the channel you get it from (Rabba milk will be
more $$$ than Walmart)
• Value is physically connecting product, price and communication with consumers and
• Value is information for awareness and making the purchase decision
How to Communication Anything
• Understand your customer
• What do they need to know?
• What do they want to know?
• What will touch the emotional benefit they seek?
• What will influence their purchase?
• Who do they trust to deliver the message? The actual company/manufacturer, or a third
party (ie. Reviews, testimonials)?
• Convert your brand positioning into communication messages
o MR. CLEAN
o - Encoding: clean and get funcky
o - Message: use the one product to clean the whole house; always been regulated
to cleaning the floor
o Encoding: its magic, you’re transported to another world, you become invisible
o Message: the new is better than the old, simplicity
o CAPTAIN MORGAN – avoid the wedding, cant pay the bill
o Encoding: its okay to lie to go fro a drink
o Messaging: comradery AND it gives you the ball to do what needs to be done
Encode the Message
• Encoding - "packaging" a message using such means as a brochure, advertisement
Deliver the message using the right channel
• Need to use the right channel to get the message across
• Use market research, sales reports, employee feedback, media reports
• Learn from your mistake
Message and Channel