Chapter 6 text notes:
• 2 year old is about ½ of his height
• ½ neurons baby’s brain die and are not replaced!!!
• Most kids walk when they are ready!!
• Babies who walk early = NOT necessary bright
• Babies gain 28 g each day and 2.5 cm each month
• Babies double their weight by 4-6 months, tripling it by end of the year
• Newborn head is 70% of adult size
• Cephalalocaudal development: growth from head to tail
• Proximodistal development: grow outward (chest to organs, arms and legs, hands and
feet) -- reverses when puberty hits!!
• Skeletal age: measure of physical maturation based on child’s skeletal development
• Brain growth spurt: between 7 prenatal month and 2 years of age where more then ½
of childs brain weight is added 7
• Synapse: connection between 2 neurons Neurons: nerve cells
• Glia cells: form myelin sheath and provide