PSYC 2510 Chapter 10: Chapter 10: Motivation

34 views10 pages

Document Summary

Motives needs, wants, interests and desires that propel us to achieve goals. Motivation goal directed behaviour: reason why we act in a particular way, reason for everything. Intrinsic motivation - motivation to take actions that are themselves rewarding: ex. Eating, (cid:862)i da(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause i lo(cid:448)e the e(cid:454)perie(cid:374)(cid:272)e of da(cid:374)(cid:272)i(cid:374)g(cid:863: benefits, work harder, more creative, enjoy what they do, reward for activities caused by intrinsic motivation decrease interest. Extrinsic motivation a motivation to take actions that lead to reward: ex. studying for a test, benefits, ability to delay of gratification. Drive theory action to reduce tensions: homeostasis state of physiological equilibrium, drive internal tension that motivates action to reduce said tension, goal: drive reduction, ex. Temperature: homeostasis internal temperature too hot/cold, drive/tension/motivation: too hot/cold, activity for drive reduction: sweating/shivering, ex. Going without food: homeostasis blood sugar drops, drive/tension/motivation: hunger, activity for drive reduction: eating something.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers