Psychology
Course
PSYC 3140
Professor
Joel Goldberg
Semester
Winter

Description
Chapter 12: Personality Disorders  Personality = all the ways we have of acting, thinking, believing, and feeling that make us all unique. Defining and Diagnosis Personality Disorders…  A personality disorder is a long-stanging pattern of maladaptive behaviours, thoughts, and feelings.  Can be diagnosed only if an individual has shown symptoms since childhood or adolescence.  Personality Disorders are on Axis II. o Clinical Disorders = Axis I. o People with Personality Disorders can experience clinical syndromes from Axis I.  People with Personality Disorders tend to not seek treatment until they experience an Axis I syndrome (e.g. major depression).  Three clusters of Personality Disorders: o Cluster A: Odd/Eccentric.  Similar to schizophrenia, but not psychotic.  Paranoid/Schizoid/Schizotypal. o Cluster B: Dramatic/Erratic/Emotional.  Manipulative, volatile, impulsive, uncaring in social situations.  Antisocial/Histrionic/Borderline/Narcassistic. o Cluster C: Anxious/Fearful.  Little self-confidence, difficult relationships with others.  Dependent/Avoidant/OCPD.  Personality Disorders are easiest to diagnose, yet the criteria for diagnosis is vague.  Problems with DSM categories o Many theorists don’t like the categorization of the DSM. o First: DSM treats PDs as categories; something substantially different from a normal PD.  John Livesley & Co. = PDs are extreme versions of normal personality. o Second: a great deal of overlap exists between pers
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3140

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit