Chapter 22.docx

2 Pages

Department
History
Course Code
HIST 1031
Professor
Robert Savage

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Chapter 22 – The Age of Nation-States
Italian Unification:
In the mid-19th century, Italy was made up of all independent states that were not united.
- Many Italians feared republican nationalism, because they did not want to be under Austrian rule
In 1860, the Italian peninsula was turned into a nation-state with the help of Camilio Cavour, the prime
minister of the Kingdom of Sardinia in northern Italy.
Cavour believed that a unified Italian state was necessary for economic and social progress.
- He promoted free trade, railway creation, and agricultural improvement to show that Italy was
economically progressive.
- He believed an alliance with France (Napoleon III) was their only path to defeating Austria
March 1861 – Victor Emmanuel II is proclaimed King of Italy.
- This unified had difficulties because of the economic and social discrepancies between north and
south Italy. The south was rural and poor while the north was industrializing.
- Italian politics became corrupt with bribery and favors gaining people seat in the cabinet
German Unification:
Before unification, Germany was just made up of the German Confederation, which was a loose
confederation of 39 states established at the Congress of Vienna.
- At the time, William I was the King of Prussia, and his Prime Minister was Otto von Bismarck.
- Bismarck was against the liberals, and set about uniting Germany to attract support towards the
monarchy and the army.
Bismarck wanted to pursue unifying a small Germany, excluding Austria.
- He proposed war against Denmark to gain certain northern German states, and they easily
defeated Denmark in 1864.
The Austro-Prussian War, 1866 – The war lasted 7 weeks and was seen as a German civil war. Prussia
easily defeated Austria, and the Treaty of Prague ended the war in August. This excluded Austria from
German territory, so only Prussia was now involved in Germany.
All German states north of the Main River became known as the North German Confederation.
- Germany became a conservative monarchy supported by aristocracy and the military
France declared war on Prussia on July 19th due to tensions with Spain, but in the conflict the southern
German states joined Prussia against France

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 22 – The Age of Nation-States Italian Unification: In the mid-19 century, Italy was made up of all independent states that were not united. - Many Italians feared republican nationalism, because they did not want to be under Austrian rule In 1860, the Italian peninsula was turned into a nation-state with the help of Camilio Cavour, the prime minister of the Kingdom of Sardinia in northern Italy. Cavour believed that a unified Italian state was necessary for economic and social progress. - He promoted free trade, railway creation, and agricultural improvement to show that Italy was economically progressive. - He believed an alliance with France (Napoleon III) was their only path to defeatingAustria March 1861 – Victor Emmanuel II is proclaimed King of Italy. - This unified had difficulties because of the economic and social discrepancies between north and south Italy. The south was rural and poor while the north was industrializing. - Italian politics became corrupt with bribery and favors gaining people seat in the cabinet German Unification: Before unification, Germany was just made up of the German Confederation, which was a loose confederation of 39 states established at the Congress of Vienna. - At the time, William I was the King of Prussia, and his Prime Minister was Otto von Bismarck. - Bismarck was against the liberals, and set about uniting Germany to attrac
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit