Humanistic vs. Psychoanalytic Approaches.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Florida State University
PPE 3003
Adam Johnson

Humanistic vs. PsychoanalyticApproaches February 25, 2014 • 3 Tyrants: Id superego, and Reality • Goal of therapy: safe place to play out all of the threatening and unwanted desires —work through these desires with a psychiatrist • Mental illness arises when coping strategies • Conflict that brings people to a clinical office (according to humanistic approach): denial and distortion of one’s genuine feelings and desires, usually because one believes others disapprove. • Carl Rogers: Conditional reward: ‘I will love you only if you are a certain way.’ • Victor Frankl:Austrian Jew—man search for meaning—insightful read to the prisoner o Wanted to treat people so that he could help them find a meaning to keep going o Writes about how the prisoners lose will to live, they physiologically gave up as well as psychologically • Goal of therapist is to restore trust in he patient to fulfill intruistic desires rather than external desires • Therapist role is to not give them advice or what to do—job is really to provide unconditional positive regard and support—validation when they start to express I have always been taught this, but I really want to do this—go do what make you happy • Humanists care about self-actualization: which is an inherit tendency of the organism to dev
More Less

Related notes for PPE 3003

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.