ANTH 410 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2-3: Historical Particularism, Trans-Cultural Diffusion, Evolutionism

14 views4 pages
18 Jan 2020
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Barrett seems to regard the establishment of a scientific study of society (or culture)" as. Questions: barret chapter 2 & 3: evaluate the positive contribution(s) of progressive evolution the main, or only really, positive contribution of progressive evolutionism to anthropology, which is, i think, a fair assessment. While i definitely do not agree with the many hierarchical conclusions of scientists like tylor, morgan, and spencer, i can acknowledge that without them, and progressive evolutionism, anthropology likely would not exist today. First to treat the world around us, specifically people and the way they interact, in a scientific manner, deviation from simply not studying anything due to god put it there and so it"s exactly as it should be". Tylor also took from this that religion should be studied. Another positive is morgan"s promotion of studying kinship systems (well this happened at the same time and he was a progressive evolutionist even if it"s a base for structural functionalism)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers