• Program/software: series of related instructions, organized for a common purpose, tells
the computer what tasks to perform and how to perform them
• Application: programs designed make users more productive and/or assist them with
• Operating system: set programs coordinates all activities among computer/mobile
• Tools/Utilities: enable you to perform maintenance-type tasks usually related to
managing devices, media, programs used by computers +mobile devices
• System software: programs that control/maintain the operations of the computer and its
• Retail software: mass produced, copyrighted software that meets the needs of a wide
variety of users, not just a single user or company.
• Custom software: performs functions specific to a business or industry.
• Web app: application stored on a web server that you access through a browser
• Mobile app: application you download from a mobile device’s app store, or other
location on the Internet to a smartphone or other mobile device.
• Mobile web app: web app that is optimized for display in a browser on a mobile device
• Open source software: software provided for use, modification and redistribution.
• Shareware: copyrighted software that is distributed at no cost for a trial period.
• Freeware: copyrighted software provided at no cost by an individual or a company that
retains all rights to the software
• Public-domain software: has been donated for public use and has no copyright
• Software registration: optional, involves submitting your name +personal info to the
• Product activation: technique that some software manufacturers use to ensure that you
do not install the software on more computers than legally licensed
• Automatic update: updates can be configured to download +install automatically
• License agreement: right to use a program/app. • Productivity application: can assist you in becoming more effective and efficient while
performing daily activities at work, school, and home
• Create: enter text/numbers, insert images, perform other tasks
• Edit: Make changes to existing content
• Clipboard: temporary storage location
• Format: change its appearance
• Font: Name assigned to a specific design of characters
• Font size: Size of the characters in a particular font
• Font style: Emphasis to a font
• Save: computer transfers the project from memory to a local storage
medium, USB/hard disk, cloud storage
• Hard copy: information that exists on a physical medium,.
• Print: generate a hard copy.
• Word processing software: application that allows users to create/manipulate
documents containing mostly text and sometimes graphics.
• Clip art: collection of drawings, photos, and other images
• Wordwrap: allows users type word in a paragraph continually without pressing the enter
key at the end of each line
• Presentation software: application that allows users to create visual aids for
presentations to communicate ideas, messages, and other information to a group.
• Slide show: Slides that are displayed on a large monitor or on a
projection screen from a computer or mobile device
• Layouts: title slide, two-column slide, slide with clip art, chart, table,
• Spreadsheet software: application that allows users to organize data in rows, column,
and perform calculations on the data
• Worksheet: rows and columns collectively • Cell: intersection of a column or row
• Function: predefined formula that preforms common calculations such as adding the
values in a group of cells or generating a value such as the time or date
• Database: collection of data organized in a manner that allows access, retrieval, and
use of that data
• Database software: application that allows users to create, access, and manage a
• Row: called a record, contains data about a given item in a database
• Column: called a field, contains a specific category of data within a record
• Calendar and contact management software: application that helps you organize your
calendar, keep track of contacts, and share this information with other devices/users
• Software suite: collection of individual applications available together as a unit.
• Project management software: application that allows a user to plan, schedule, track,
and analyze the events, resources, and costs of a project
• Accounting software: application helps businesses all sizes record+ report their
• Personal finance software: simplified accounting application that helps home users
+small/home office users balance their checkbooks, pay bills, track personal income and
expenses, verify account balances, transfer funds, track investments, and evaluate financial
• Legal software: application that assists in the preparation of legal documents and
provides legal information to individuals, families, and small businesses.
• Tax preparation software: application that can guide individuals, families or small
businesses through the process of filing federal taxes
• E -filing: file tax forms electronically
• Document management software: application that provides a means for sharing,
distributing, and searching through documents by converting them into a format that can be
viewed by any user.
• PDF: Portable Document Format, developed by Adobe Systems.
• Reference applications: Look up definitions, synonyms, addresses, directions, and
more • Travel applications: Compare rates +prices
• Retail applications: Check product availability, compare prices locally/online
• Enterprise: large organization, requires special computing solutions. Consists of a wide
variety of departments, centers, and divisions – functional units
Human resources: software manages employee info: pay rate, benefits,
personal info, performance evaluations, training, vacation time
Accounting: manages everyday transactions: sales, payments to
suppliers, helps managers budget, forecast, analyze
Engineering: product development, develop plans for new product +test
Manufacturing: Assists in the assembly process, scheduling, managing
inventory of parts +products
Marketing: allows marketing personnel to create marketing campaigns,
target demographics, track their effectiveness
Sales software: enables sales force to manage contacts, schedule
meetings, customer interactions, manage product info, take customer orders.
Distribution: analyzes +tracks inventory +manages product shipping
Customer service: manages day to day interactions w/ customers
Information technology: variety of programs/apps maintain +secure
hardware +software in an enterprise
• Computer-aided design: software is a type of application that assists professionals a