BSC 3096 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Lipophilicity, Pituitary Gland, Prostaglandin

59 views13 pages

Document Summary

General hormones are hormones released by the endocrine system i. general because they are released into the body fluids, often the blood, and may affect many cell types in a tissue and multiple tissues b. Exocrine glands release enzymes to the external environments through ducts i. Include sweat, oil, mucous and digestive ducts c. Endocrine glands release hormones directly into body fluids i. d. e. The effects of the endocrine system tend to be slower, less direct and longer lasting than those of the nervous system i. Endocrine hormones can take from seconds to days. All hormones act by binding to proteins called receptors i. ii. Each receptor is highly specific for its hormone. Hormones bind to these receptors and initiate biochemical responses inside the cell f. One method of hormone regulation is by increasing or decreasing the number of hormone receptors in the presence of high or low concentrations of the hormone i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers