Textbook Notes (280,000)
US (110,000)
WUSTL (200)
Chapter Mind

I50 INTER D 175 Chapter Notes - Chapter Mind: Wilder Mind, Will.I.Am, Convergent Thinking

Department
Interdisciplinary Studies
Course Code
I50 INTER D 175
Professor
Rob Morgan
Chapter
Mind

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Danielle Wilder
Mind Reflection
I found that the most important lesson from each section is surrounding the idea of finding flow
in our lives, finding that “state of being completely involved in an activity for its own sake.” In
order to have a good idea, we need to discover it first, right?
Rob Morgan, in the first lesson, taught me about the importance of divergent and convergent
thinking in creating ideas. With this I find that I am able to get stimulus from divergent thinking
and thereby an idea. Then through convergent thinking I am able to obtain facts and an answer to
my idea. I also personally was surprised how easy it seems that I am able to apply a complex
ideation discussion in my studies. We actually applied the four steps that were taught in this
lecture in my lab group in order to come to a more cohesive idea.
From the second lecture I learned the importance of creating a space where ideas can come and
that ideas need time to incubate. The second lesson really summarized that good ideas take time
as they are often “a collision of slow hunches.” As quoted by David Lynch, “an idea comes like a
TV in your mind, you see it and you know it.” I personally liked his metaphor in that an idea is
like “a bait and a hook,” meaning that each piece of an idea comes in small fragments, each piece
attracting the next. In Will I Am it was said that we should find “a thread that resonates” to gain
this deeper level of creative ideas and innovation. I learned that to find this deeper level I need to
avoid distractions in my daily life because as John Cleeve said, “we don’t know where we get
ideas from, we just know we don’t get them from our laptop.” I learned that I need to create a
“tortoise enclosure” for my mind, a place where it is safe for ideas to come out. I aim to try and
create this sort of oasis in my life. Particularly, I found myself doing this in my lab.
My lab group decided that our way of creating boundaries of space and time in order to generate
creative thinking would be through actually doodling what is distracting and impeding us. Earlier
in the semester in this class I found a new love for doodling that I hadn’t felt since I was a kid.
This project forced me to explore this on a deeper and more scheduled level. I found myself
really loving it and, not to toot my own horn, being good at it as well. I found that through this,
my ideas were given a free and unrelenting space to run wild, something that is hard to come by
in our chaotic lives filled with notifications and deadlines. This is now something I hope to
continue throughout the semester as I find a lot of joy from it. However, I also feel like this is the
most challenging part of this section. To find the space and time to dedicate to this sort of task is
hard and will take a lot of commitment on my part.
In the lecture surrounding data I learned about this fundamental problem we are having today.
“We are getting better and better at collecting data, but we don’t know what to do with this.”
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version