PSYC 2700 (115)
Lecture 2

Part 1: Lecture 2 Notes

7 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
PSYC 2700
Chris Herdman

LECTURE #2 OUTLINE 1. Review Multi-Store Model of Memory 2. Basics of Visual Perception 3. Sensory Memory (Textbook Chapter #3) a. Encoding b. Duration c. Capacity d. Type of Code 4. Erasure of Sensory Memory (SM) 5. Summary I. MULTI-STORE MODEL Atkinson & Shiffrin (1968) (Textbook page 43) 3 Memory (information processing) structures: - Sensory Memory (Registers) - Short-term Store - Long-term Store My notes: Environmental input: get info from environment and comes in from the sensory registers. Gets passed onto the next memory system (short-term store/working memory), where it is temporarily stored, then it gets transferred into long-term store which is the last memory system. A lot of memory is focused on vision. Memory goes through these 3 systems in order. How to differentiate the Stores: - Encoding - Duration (how long the memory is stored) - Capacity (how big the storage is) - Type of Code(s) (where the memory is stored) II. BASICS OF VISUAL PERCEPTION (Textbook pages 75-81) Sensation - Reception of stimulation from environment - Initial encoding into nervous system Gather and receive information from the environment Perception - Process of interpreting sensory information Follows sensation. Process by which we do some interpretation of the sensation system (understanding at a conscious level); impose some type of coding Sensory Structure (Fig. 3.1, page 77) - Light waves projected onto retina o Rods, cones, bipolar cells, ganglion cells  Rods/cones back layer of neurons  1 to be stimulated by light waves o Neural firing pattern from rod/cones to bipolar cells, and then to ganglion cells  Axons of ganglion cells form bundle calls optic nerve  Nerve projects back to send neural message to visual cortex in occipital lobe My notes: 1 degree= thumbs width Fovea area of the eye- colour vision Rods- black, white and grey Cones- colour Energy waves go all the way to the back of the retina and activate the rods and cones; project into the next layer of cells (bipolar cells) Compression - Only fraction of light waves reaches retina - 120M rods, 7M cones, only 1M ganglion ○ Some cones have own bipolar ○ But, many rods converge onto 1 bipolar ○ Convergence especially in 20+ degrees (don’t need a lot of detail in your peripheral; just need movement) How Is Information Gathered? - Series of fixation-saccade cycles - Saccades o Eyes move in jerky patterns o Not smooth continuous o Variable: 25ms-175ms o Nothing “seen” during saccade - Fixations o Eyes pause to foveate and take in information o Fovea is where highest resolution in eye My notes: Fixation-Saccade cycles: moving eyes around, in certain ways and in certain control; moving eyes in a jittery motion Saccades: when your eyes are moving but nothing comes in- just a blur Fixations: when eyes stop moving and look at or watch something, still allowing them to pick up information III. SENSORY MEMORY (Also known as Sensory Registers) - Neural activation in retina is brief o Terminates with external stimulation
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2700

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.