Psychology
Course
PSYC 2700
Professor
Chris Herdman
Semester
Fall

Description
th Lecture 5­ Oct. 7  Cognitive Psychology  2700 • Review Multi-Store Model of Memory I. Atkinson and Shiffrin- 3 memories (multi-store model of memory): i) Sensory Memory: Visual, auditory and haptic stimulation ii) Short-term Store: temporary working memory. Controls the following processes: a) Rehearsal b) coding c) decisions d) retrieval strategies iii) Long-term Store: Permanent memory store. Takes important info from the short term store. II. Korsakoff patients: Patients who suffer from neuron destruction from excessive alcohol intake with poor nutrition. They have good memory of past events but have trouble forming new ones, aka. Anterograde amnesia. III. Anterograde vs. Retrograde Amnesia: Anterograde amnesia means that you cannot form new memories, but can remember old ones. Retrograde means you cannot remember any events that occurred prior to pathology. IV. The man who mistook his wife for a hat (jimmy D): Jimmy was born in the 1920s. He was a typical Korsakoff patient. He was in the navy from age 17 to about age 45. He was good at his job and naturally good at math and science- he was a Morse code expert. He showed up at a hospital years after being discharged from the navy confused and disoriented. He was placed in a care home where he received poor nutrition. He seemed apathetic when he was sitting around, but when he was engaged he seemed quite alert and interested. He was in overall good health, and his short term memory seemed ok. Jimmy was still good at math, as long as there were not too many steps. When asked the date, Jimmy still though he was in the 1940s. • How to Differentiate the Stores: We differentiate the structures based on size, how info gets in, how it is stored. A) STS (short term store) Encoding: Information enters this store via the senses. Selective attention helps us select info from short term memory to enter the short term store. B) STS Duration: Relatively small. i) Peterson & Peterson 2 Phase Study: In phase 1, People were given 3 constantans (CCC), followed by a delay of 0-15 seconds. After the delay, when asked to recall the letters, people remembered them 100% of the time. In phase 2, the same thing was done except people were given an intervening task during the delay (counting backwards). People were not able to remember as easily. C) STS Codes: Basic, non-semantic, non-linguistic. Deals with basic features such as line
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2700

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit