PSYC 223 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Belongingness, The Need

22 views2 pages

Document Summary

The need to establish close emotional bonds and attachments with other people. Belonging: to be interpersonally connected, to be accepted and to affiliated with others: we can understand the need of relatedness through belonging: we have an innate need to belong to something. Intimacy: the desire to be involved in close, warm relations. We have an innate need to develop and maintain enduring, positive and significant relationships. So humans are inherently disposed to form interpersonal attachments. You are who you love we identify ourselves in terms of our social relationships: I am a daughter, i am a student, i am a friend. The need for relatedness motivates us to develop intimate relationships. The need for relatedness causes approach behaviour and generates positive emotions. When we establish intimate relationships with people there is: more self-disclosure trust, listening, concern, more eye contact, laughing, smiling, more positive adjectives when describing others, greater relationship satisfaction.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers