CHEM 181 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Samuel Pierpont Langley, Wright Brothers, Ben Goldacre

61 views5 pages
16 Mar 2016
Department
Course
Professor
897wjface and 39475 others unlocked
CHEM 181 Full Course Notes
CHEM 181 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
11 documents

Document Summary

Topic one: intro lesson 3: scientific research and publishing. Information all about facts facts that accumulate around the world. 1996-2011: ~15 million active researchers, ~26 million publications (approx. 1 million more by now) (1. 5-2 million publications/year) Popeye (very popular cartoon) ate spinach and attributes great strength to it. I"m strong to the finish, cause i eats me spinach . Idea came from german chemist (1880) erich von wolf calculated the iron content in spinach as 3. 5 mg in a 100 g serving. 3. 5 is approximately correct, but somehow decimal was missing/misplaced (3. 5 -> 35. ) > became misleading fact and inspiration for show. Content of spinach/100g serving: 10% iron, 70% vitamin a (actually none in spinach, but is beta-carotene -> converted in body to iron?) Spinach, iron & popeye: ironic lessons from biochemistry and history on the importance of healthy eating, healthy scepticism, and adequate citation by.