MHR 405 Lecture Notes - Job Satisfaction, Job Performance, Agreeableness

9 views5 pages
Published on 4 Feb 2014
Department
Course
Professor
Jan 31. 2014
Teams Chapter 8
Correlation is the strength between two variables; there is a relationship between two things
Coefficient: direction whether the correlation is positive or negative and the magnitude, from
+1.00 to –1.00 is the determent of how strong the relationship is. The further the extreme result,
the more correlated it is and 0 means there is no correlation.
- If there is a relationship between job satisfaction and job performance, if the correlation is
positive, as job performance goes up so does job satisfaction and same thing goes for negative
correlations
There are three possibilities in correlations:
Positive: correlated but above 0
Negative: correlated but direction is under 0
Zero: unrelated correlation
A correlation is not the same as causation because when we are talking about correlation, we
are only talking about basic association instead of having a cause and effect relationship. It can
also be that performance causes an increase in higher job satisfaction (ie) I am happy at my job
therefore I perform well OR I am a great performer so I must be satisfied at my job
There is also a 3rd variable that links the two together as correlated: external environmental
factors and participants factors and we cannot use a causal explanation to describe the
relationship we can only claim a correlation
What are groups?
A group is where there is something about membership in that group that is common, similar (ie)
gender groups, school and faculty that you belong to.
We join them for security (sense of safety in numbers)
Sense of status especially when you join a group f people who are great performers or
are known for something
Self-esteem will be gained from the group’s performance
Power is gained through group membership, the more people we know, the more power
we can draw on
Goal achievement like achieving outcomes so we need people to work with us
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Personal Development where individuals feed off the skills of other people and get
something out of it like experience and reflective self-esteem
Groups must have a stable structure; there must be something common that keep the group
together. There are typically common interests and goals amongst members of the group and
there is a strong sense of belonging where each person in the group feels like they belong in the
group.
Stages of Group Development
It is presumed that each group will go through all these stages in consecutive order
which is not always the case since sometimes groups can have really well defined
Prestage: random people who have yet to come together
Stage 1 Forming: Do not know anything about structure, what behaviours are acceptable or not
acceptable in a group, who is the leader, have an understanding about the communication
process, everyone’s personality. Group members really get to know each other in this stage.
Stage 2 Storming: Conflict stage where there is unrest and people are struggling to find the
leader how is working going to be divided up? Who will lead the group? When this is done, there
should be a clear hierarchy of power within the group and who has what role in the group
Stage 3 Norming: Turning point in term of cohesiveness where members start to identify as
being part of the team, sense of team identity, expectations are solidified (everyone knows
exactly what they should be doing and knowing what other peoples responsibilities are)
Stage 3 Performing: Actual work is done
Stage 5 Adjourning: Team might disband in the case of a temporary team (i.e.) creating a new
product but in the case of a permanent work, team the adjourning stage will not happen but
when a new member comes in you will go through the whole process again. If there are only 1
or 2 new members joining there will not be much disruption because the group has already
established their skills and hierarchy within the group so the new members will have to adapt to
it (person with low agreeableness and emotional stability can significantly increase the conflict
within the group)
Difference between group and team
- Groups and teams everyone is working together; in groups the contributions is solely limited to
individual contributions (i.e.) department of people where they will be evaluated individually on
how well they performed. In a team, the performance in dependant on everyone and
everybody’s contribution feeds into one another’s contribution so this is
- Accountability is for everyone in a team and everyone is accountable for the outcomes.
Individuals are responsible for the outcomes while in a team there are mutual outcomes that is
dependent on every member of the group
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Notes+

Unlimited access to class notes and textbook notes.

YearlyBest Value
75% OFF
$8 USD/m
Monthly
$30 USD/m
You will be charged $96 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.