FRHD 3400 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Verbal Behavior, Nonverbal Communication

45 views2 pages
Are You a Good Observer?
Observation is the act of watching carefully and intentionally with the purpose of understanding
behavior.
Mastering this skill takes time and practice.
Helps to get to know clients and what is conveyed by their verbal and nonverbal behavior.
Facilitates establishing a working relationship.
Observation Skills
Major function:
Eales you to ote ad respod appropriately to liet’s eral ad oeral iteratios.
Secondary function:
Increased ability to note and understand:
Your ad liet’s oeral ehaior
Your ad liet’s eral ehaior
Discrepancies, conflicts, and incongruities.
Your ad liet’s idiidual ad ultural style ariations
Observation in an Interview
Observation Skills:
Observe your own and the cliet’s eral ad oeral ehaior.
Anticipate individual and multicultural differences in nonverbal and verbal behavior.
Carefully and selectively feedback observations and to the client as topics for discussion.
Predicted result:
Observations validate or invalidate what is happening in the session and provide guidance for
the current and future session.
Anatomy of an Observation
Context - What is the situation?
Observation - What do you see/hear?
Impression/Interpretation - What does my observation mean?
Observation Three Dimensions
Non-verbal behavior
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Observation is the act of watching carefully and intentionally with the purpose of understanding behavior. Mastering this skill takes time and practice. Helps to get to know clients and what is conveyed by their verbal and nonverbal behavior. Major function: e(cid:374)a(cid:271)les you to (cid:374)ote a(cid:374)d respo(cid:374)d appropriately to (cid:272)lie(cid:374)t"s (cid:448)er(cid:271)al a(cid:374)d (cid:374)o(cid:374)(cid:448)er(cid:271)al i(cid:374)tera(cid:272)tio(cid:374)s. Increased ability to note and understand: your a(cid:374)d (cid:272)lie(cid:374)t"s (cid:374)o(cid:374)(cid:448)er(cid:271)al (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ior, your a(cid:374)d (cid:272)lie(cid:374)t"s (cid:448)er(cid:271)al (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ior, discrepancies, conflicts, and incongruities. Your a(cid:374)d (cid:272)lie(cid:374)t"s i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual a(cid:374)d (cid:272)ultural style (cid:448)ariations. Observe your own and the clie(cid:374)t"s (cid:448)er(cid:271)al a(cid:374)d (cid:374)o(cid:374)(cid:448)er(cid:271)al (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ior. Anticipate individual and multicultural differences in nonverbal and verbal behavior. Carefully and selectively feedback observations and to the client as topics for discussion. Observations validate or invalidate what is happening in the session and provide guidance for the current and future session. Observation three dimensions: non-verbal behavior, verbal behavior, discrepancies, incongruities, mixed messages, contradictions and conflict. Note the text provides clear detail regarding the three dimensions.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers