Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1200
Professor
David R.Hampton
Semester
Summer

Description
o982 Some of us might find adultery absolutely unacceptable and worthy of severe punishment How can one make a universal rule about this? Would that not require a knowledge of every belief and desire of every person? Kant’s answer to this (at least the way Velleman seems to understand him) People who have diverging moral views must have them for a reason If they do not, then their actions do not have any moral basis if they merely say, for example, “I just don’t mind adultery”, or :I just hate adultery”, this cannot count as a reason We can never deviate about such a thing and acting on the basis of feelings and desires just brings us back to the state of the wanton When we try to figure out which action is objectively right, what we should do is try to think about possible reasons and evaluate them The important thing is that we exclude reasons of the kind “because that how I feel like” (which are not really reasons, or in any case are not good reasons) and on
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit