September 22, 2011
Bible and Literature
➢ EXODUS 1 – 18
When did these events take place?
Chapter 12/13 says almost 400 years since the years of Jospeh ( 4
No evidence to support any of the events in the Exodus.
This generation was born and raised in Egypt so they have no
knowledge of Canaan.
Early History of Moses
➢ Brief description of how things were in Egypt
➢ A new era, a new ruler, who does not have the same positive attitude
towards Jospeh's descendents.
➢ New Pharaoh
Why is the new Pharaoh hostile towards them?
His way of dealing with Hebrews:
Make them work as slaves
Kills male children to cut down population
➢ Moses' Infancy
Was adopted by an Egyptian
Hebrew child – sort of a cross-cultural figure
➢ Young Moses As a Defencer of the Powerless
Moses identifies btwn Hebrews rather than Egyptians – even killed an
1) Incident btwn 2 Hebrews – Moses takes the side of the weaker –
shows that he has a good sense of justice
Moses flees because he fears that pple will discover that he killed an
2) When a shepherd tries to drive away Midian's daughters because
they're week, Moses comes to the rescue – thus, defends the
powerless and also earns himself a wife.
➢ First Theopany at the Holy Mountain
Chapter 3 - The Burning Bush
Inconsistency as to whether it is really God
Told that it is the "angel of the lord" (v: 2)
"God calls onto him out of the bush and God speaks to him" (v: 4)
• God, angel of God, and spirit of God all seem to be
Unlike Jacob who wrestles with God, Moses shys away – there is this
custom that one should not look at God
Doubts whether people will believe him so asks God how he should
answer questions as to how he should refer to God.
God replies, "I am that I am" • This makes it so that Moses does not name him and have power
• It's like God has always been the way he is
Compare "I am that I am" to Chapter 6 – "Jehovah"
• Another version of the same story – God identifies himself
differently to Moses.
How does Moses react?
"They will not believe me"
"I am not eloquent" (v:10)
• Not completely clear whether it's cause he's not a good speaker
or cause there's a physical ailment/deformation.
Moses' "uncircumcised lips"
• Could be taken to mean "to have blockage"
• So it needs to be circumcized for words to come out smoothly
• *SO....he's not leaping at the chance to be a hero
➢ The Struggle With Pharaoh
God tells Moses what to say but Moses passes it on to Aaron to be a
The twelve miracles (that harm Egyptia