SOCA01 – Lec 08
Func=function or functional
Prestige is associated with privilege
- Social complexity create inequality
- Societies become large- that lead to inequality
- Politics is responsible for inequality
- Refers to inc division of labor
- Division of labor- # of occupations in society
- Some called division of labor – > social differentiation
- 3500 occupation so far identifiable
- Some earn more ; other earn less
- Ex. Postal worker on strike. If they are given compensation over primary teachers, these primary
teachers protest & will claim that they perform a vital func in society. They experience great
stress, and have better educated
- Everybody uses legitimacy for occupational inequality
- Some have natural talent
- Social capital- network & connection
- Network- you can get your foot in the door
- Cultural capital- learning skills & social class
- Human capital-same as individual capital where you try to sell your learned skills on a labor
- There is a powerful link b/w income and education
- MOSCA- Elite Theorist. It’s the ruling class
- Inequality is inevitable bcz of political organization
- Politician makes decision. They are intended to coordinate the society.
- Political decision leads to inequality. Leaders give orders. We have inequality of power. We also
get to have material inequality.
- Anarchism- pple who consider the state undesirable, unnecessary, and harmful. They hate
government. They think it all leads to corruption & inequality.
- “IRON law of Oligarchy”- no matter what a politician promises, they are going to sell the rest. All
politicians start looking @ themselves (cynical attitude reported by author Michael & Pareto)
- Political sys is responsible for inequality
- Democratic sys is less responsible for inequality bcz if you don’t like the leader, then in the next
election you can throw them out Children 4-5 can recognize inequality in society. People are ranked on basis of certain characteristics.
(Based on how they are socially differentiated). This is called social stratification.
In1951, only one income shown on graph. In 2006, the graph shows the income that is contributed by
two people (mom & dad both working). The total distribution of income is same despite government
effort in 1951.
Wealth defines the class. Wealth can be: liquid, liquid asserts or non liquid asserts. Money is liquidity.
You can immediately turn into something else. It’s a medium of exchange for many things; money
exchange is not particularly liked by gov since they can’t collect taxes on it.
“Money can’t find love”. Rich pple tends to marry rich. Classes tend to marry within classes. New money
has no prestige. Old money has prestige. Nouveau riche- “new money” in French.
Non liquid assert- e.g. a house which is a wealth but not easily exchangeable. Other examples: car,
furniture etc. RRSPs – if u save there, you ll be sitting pretty after retirement.
- Tells you your social standing in community. You call it esteem or a status honor. It’s a resource
that you can use. York uni has an institution called IBR ( institution of behavioral research)
- Supreme court judge is most prestigious in Canada
- Semi skilled jobs – you can easily replaced and they can train another staff mem within a week
- We might be influence by pop culture. Mass media can influence you.
- If somebody has power, they can impose their will on you.
- Some powerful individual can actually change your fate.
- Politician has power. Ex. Pple decides whether they want a factory on their land. But McGuinty
(politician) brought wind turbines on their land without their consent. Thus, the locals say was
- We don’t try to put stop to the power. Most pple don’t like turbines – > you wouldn’t want
them in your vicinity. In fact, you have to cover every square of Ontario with turbines in order to
produce high scale power.
- OCPS- Ontario college