Terrorism and globalization
• Growing global inequality
○ Frustrated young men, and women and children Sweden, England,
○ Global civil war?
• Everyone wants to be Canadian?
○ Easy to integrate self into the Canadian identity
○ It shields you, and adds a security to your lifestyle
• Globalization of terrorism has facilitated and increased power for states
○ Limitations to civil liberties Patriot Act
○ Increased extra-legal and extra sovereign powers of states
○ Revitalized power of some states militaries Russia, India, USA
○ Muted opposition to some hardline approaches – Arar Case
• Is terrorism the biggest threat?
○ Developing countries face greater threat from AIDS and more
○ Developed countries face greater threat from gang and other
• US – 1990 = 37000 firearm deaths/200 international
• 2004: 42,646 Car accidents
○ Realignment of economic priorities and internal flows in some
• State responses
○ International cooperation
○ Re-regulation – who shoul