Sociology 2140 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Euthanasia, Resource Depletion, Substance Abuse

44 views3 pages

Document Summary

To understand social forces that shape our lives: personal and societal levels, obesity is thought to be a huge societal problem, esp. child obesity. To gain new insights into ourselves and connections b/w our world and other people. Private troubles vs. public issues (i. e. unemployment) Differing opinions solution or problem i. e. euthanasia used to be considered mercy killing, but is now called assisted death, which is legal i. e. affirmative action getting more women and ethnic minorities in your company. Conditions affecting the quality of life of cherished values. Patterns of behavior warranting public concern and collective action. Social problems: failure of institutions to fulfill roles. Solution: strengthen social norms and slow pace of change. Social problems: division exists b/w haves and have-nots; there is a division b/w classes, people are wanting more but the people who already have a lot do not want to give it up. Solution: abolish class differences, let workers have more control of workplace.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers