Economics
Course
ECON 2300
Professor
all
Semester
Winter

Description
Intermediate Microeconomic Theory I ECON 2300 – Summer 2011 – Mark Melatos Topic 4 – Production Costs – June 7 The Technology of Production - A production function indicates the output, Q, that a firm produces for every possible combination of inputs. - Production functions describe the maximum output feasible for a given set of inputs  technical efficiency. Production in the Short Run (SR) - The SR production function takes the form: o i.e. there is only one variable input, L. The amount of K is fixed.  Marginal product of L: additional output produced as L is increased by 1 unit (holding K fixed) Production in the Long Run (LR) - The LR production function takes the form: o i.e. both K and L can be varied. - Isoquant: A curve that shows all possible combinations of inputs that yield the same output. o Analogous to the indifference curves we looked at in consumer theory. Isoquant Slopes - Marginal rate of technical substitution (MRTS): measures the slope of the isoquant at a given combination of inputs  ∆K/∆L  the amount by which K can be reduced when an extra unit of L is employed (holding Q fixed). Costs in the SR - Definitions: total cost = fixed cost + variable cost. - Marginal cost (MC) = the extra cost incurred by producing an additional unit of output. Isocost Line - All possible combinations of K and L that can be purchased for a given total cost.
More Less

Related notes for ECON 2300

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit