Psychology
Course
PSYC 3170
Professor
Gerry Goldberg
Semester
Winter

Description
thJanuary 10 2012Health Psychology Lecture 2Attribution Theory Card Trick D on one side 3 on the other accurate with two cards but not on the third which has D and a 7 ie for two of the trials is accurate but the third is right so we need more than two tests to choose a accurate hypothesisWe select what we know because we have a conformation bias we select what we are comfortable withRelates to what we think and its impact on Card Trick D on one side 3 on the other accurate with two cards but not on the third which has D and a 7 ie for two of the trials is accurate but the third is right so we need more than two tests to choose a accurate hypothesisWe select what we know because we have a conformation bias we select what we are comfortable withhealth we can control our world more if we know how things work we attribute things to what we know but this can lead us astray Nave Psychology also known as attribution psychologyWe try to discern the motives and personality traitsPsychologists look at how such judgments are made ExamplesFundamental Attribution Error bias in not giving the situation credit for influencing our behavior we tend to overestimate internal characteristics on how we feel we discount the influence from the environmentActorobserver bias contributing situation outcomes to ourselves internal characteristics to others swerving because in a rush but the other person swerving may be a jerk to usDefensive Attribution blame the victim for what has occurred to them Selfserving bias good news is because of me bad news is because of something external A on a test because I studied failed the test because it was unfair Discounting negative motivation seen in other people doctor says you lost hair and he has crme that can help that at this point you may question whether the doctor cares or whether her is trying to make money you attribute behavior to that negative motive Augmentation attributing behavior to higher motives same example as above accept the doctor gives you an alternative crme that he does not make money on and you contribute this to him caring and not just trying to make money Am I really sickAttend to bodily sensation 1Interpret sensations in the context of illness 2Negative mood 3 J A SkeltonInformation and SelfRegulatory Theory Skelton and PennebakerInfluenced by eg the information gets us to regulate what is wrong with us Cultural and Schema Amount of information
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3170

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit