PSY 034 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Western Electric, Army Beta, Army Alpha

32 views3 pages

Document Summary

It is simply the application of psychological facts and principles to the workplace. The purpose of i/o psychology is to enhance the dignity and performance of human beings, and the organizations they work in, by advancing the science and knowledge of human behavior (rucci, 2008) The application of these principles is what distinguishes i/o psychology from related fields. Different than business fields as it examines factors that affect people in an organization. It relies heavily on research, quantitative methods, and testing techniques. I industrial approach focuses on competencies needed to perform a job, staffing, training and developing employees. O organizational approach focuses on organizational structure and culture, motivating employees, and job satisfaction. Has been around for a relatively short time. Testing was done mainly through mental ability tests (army alpha and army beta) More intelligent recruits were assigned to officer training and less to infantry. Gilbreths were first to improve productivity and reduce fatigue by studying motions used by workers.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers