COMM 350 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Frankfurt School, Max Horkheimer, Culture Industry

38 views3 pages

Document Summary

To media conglomerates: disney, time warner/comcast, newscorp/21st century fox. Political economy examines how media ownership and control influences media messages. Critical political economy approach looks at power in systems of media. Herman & chomsky: manufacturing consent focuses on how and why us media support and carry-out propaganda like functions. Compare and contrast: media effects & political economy. Core ideas/values: me: concern for media impact on audiences, pe: focus on media systems influence issues of ownership and power. View of society: me: ultimately shaped by media, pe: economic, political, and cultural life intertwined and shaped by media ownership and control. View of media: me: powerful force shaping public opinion, pe: media manufacture consent . Related to critical theory (questions structures of society) & Importance of interdisciplinary (economy, politics, and sociology) Marxist perspective: mass vs. social elite; agency vs. manipulation. Society understood as intersection of public, culture and class. Investigation of societal and structural (political) relation.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers