● Use of the seal is voluntary
What is in the Label? 4 categories
● 100% Organic: all ingredients are organic
● Organic: means that at least 95% of content organic
● Made With Organic: at least 70% ingredients are organic
● If less than 70% of content is organic: No mention on the main panel.
● Organic ingredients may be listed under “ingredients”.
what about the use of Hormones?
● Growth hormone Bovine somatotropin (BST), also called rBST
● Use the increase milk production in cows.
Why are hormones sometimes used?
● To increase milk production rBST
● To promote growth
● various hormones approved
Is “natural” the same as organic?
The “three pillars” of sustainability:
● environmental health
● social responsibilities
● economic profitability
“we must meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to
meet their own needs” (United Nations)
Man is a food generalist: OMNIVORE
● Eats both plant and animal foods.
Koala, Lion, River otter
lb grain to produce 1lb of animal weight gain
● 1.5lb fish
● 2lb chicken ● 3lb pig
● 8lb cow
Vegetarianism (Resurgence in the 1960s)
● 1971 book by Frances Moore LAPPE promoted vegetarianism, and
● focused on a responsible use of the Earth’s resources.
….. world hunger is due to lack of access to food, and not shortage of food.
Why do people become vegetarians?
● health concerns
● ethical reasons
○ animal welfare
○ concerns about world hunger
● environmental reasons
● (plain) vegetarians do not eat m