Study Guides (283,626)
CA (135,450)
Ryerson (9,269)
MKT (535)
MKT 100 (271)

MKT 100 Study Guide - Quality Function Deployment, Market Segmentation, Target Market

7 Pages
Winter 2011

Department
Marketing
Course Code
MKT 100
Professor
Paul Finlayson

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Module 5: Segmentation, Targeting, and Positioning (STP)
Section 1: Customer Focus and Positioning
Customer focus: How you focus your efforts to attract, serve, and retain customers,
and which customers you focus these efforts
Targeting/ Product or Service Positioning: How you focus to serve customers
Focus on profitable customers, also analyze these customers needs
Changing customer preferences changes demand, which changes supply, which
changes customer demand and preference
Simplifying thinking, make clusters, where consumer preference varies little, but
between clusters, varies a lot
Best way to segment markets is using:
oSustainability (segment size)
oAccessibility (segment can be reach efficiently)
oFit (with company capabilities)
Segmentation Variables for Consumer Markets
Geographic
oWorld region, climate, country, city, province
Demographic
oBody type, weight, age, wealth, income, language, family size, education,
nationality, ethnicity, occupation
Psychographic
oLifestyle, hobbies, interests, social class, values
Behavioral
oProduct consumption, channel loyalty, benefits sought, brand loyalty, early
adaptor
Focusing on Customer Profitability
www.notesolution.com
Common conclusion: a small group of customers that want free benefits such as
credit terms, and service and order small volumes or low margin products are
unprofitable
hidden loss customers subsidize hidden profit customers
To find customer focus, identify direct determinants (drivers)
oCustomer purchases of high margin products and services
oQuantity made by year
oLow selling costs to customer, low delivery costs, low after sales service costs
Less direct way, but important driver is when the satisfied customers, refers others
Second step of positioning
Segmenting market and customers necessary to separate good customers from bad
Customer management metric, used to see how good the company manages their
customers, 10 being the highest
Section 2: Benefit-Feature Segmentation
Simple goal directed theory of consumer behavior, benefits from the features in a
product or a service
Behavior is motivated by a desire (sometimes called a need or a want) to move from
our current perceived situation to a new physical/ intellectual/emotional/spiritual
state
Some motivation is conscious, some is not.
Product and service with their benefits help us move from a current state to a
desired state
How we choose values, goals, priorities, instruments (products and services we use
to achieve them) complicated
First, seek to have our survival needs met
Second, seek emotional and sexual goals (some put spiritual goals before all)
Others put the pursuit of learning and knowledge before their spiritual and
emotional goals
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Module 5: Segmentation, Targeting, and Positioning (STP) Section 1: Customer Focus and Positioning • Customer focus: How you focus your efforts to attract, serve, and retain customers, and which customers you focus these efforts • Targeting/ Product or Service Positioning: How you focus to serve customers • Focus on profitable customers, also analyze these customer’s needs • Changing customer preferences changes demand, which changes supply, which changes customer demand and preference • Simplifying thinking, make clusters, where consumer preference varies little, but between clusters, varies a lot • Best way to segment markets is using: o Sustainability (segment size) o Accessibility (segment can be reach efficiently) o Fit (with company capabilities) Segmentation Variables for Consumer Markets • Geographic o World region, climate, country, city, province • Demographic o Body type, weight, age, wealth, income, language, family size, education, nationality, ethnicity, occupation • Psychographic o Lifestyle, hobbies, interests, social class, values • Behavioral o Product consumption, channel loyalty, benefits sought, brand loyalty, early adaptor Focusing on Customer Profitability www.notesolution.com • Common conclusion: a small group of customers that want free benefits such as credit terms, and service and order small volumes or low margin products are unprofitable • ‘hidden loss’ customers subsidize ‘hidden profit’ customers • To find customer focus, identify direct determinants (drivers) o Customer purchases of high margin products and services o Quantity made by year o Low selling costs to customer, low delivery costs, low after sales service costs • Less direct way, but important driver is when the satisfied customers, refers others • Second step of positioning • Segmenting market and customers necessary to separate good customers from bad • Customer management metric, used to see how good the company manages their customers, 10 being the highest Section 2: Benefit-Feature Segmentation • Simple goal directed theory of consumer behavior, benefits from the features in a product or a service • Behavior is motivated by a desire (sometimes called a need or a want) to move from our current perceived situation to a new physical/ intellectual/emotional/spiritual state • Some motivation is conscious, some is not. • Product and service with their benefits help us move from a current state to a desired state • How we choose values, goals, priorities, instruments (products and services we use to achieve them) complicated • First, seek to have our survival needs met • Second, seek emotional and sexual goals (some put spiritual goals before all) • Others put the pursuit of learning and knowledge before their spiritual and emotional goals www.notesolution.com • Maslow: Priority of needs theory: o Physical needs o Love and affection o State of self-actualization • Must find what different customers want, and how to cater to those needs • Consumer preferences always changing Section 3: Positioning: Fitting Features to Benefits Desired • Buyers will choose a product based on quality when they perceive a product’s quality to be higher than a competitors quality in product benefits provided and on quality dimensions important to them • Customer focus means a product positioning and design focus on product quality/benefits desired by the target segment • Juran’s Quality Planning Road Map, identify customer needs, what qualities the product or service must have to meet and exceed customer needs, then deliver such quality • Quality Function Deployment(QFD): deployment of quality, technology, and the resources of the firm to ensure a product or service is competitively positioned to target and deliver the desired customer function, benefits and satisfaction Section 4: Channel/ Contact Segmentation • Customer focus and segmentation around the customer’s distribution/communication channel usage is very common • Segments are almost always further sub segmented into different product benefit/feature usage segments to which various products or models in the product line are targeted • Sub-segments tracked for profitability • Channel segmentation very important today because a lot of innovation in communication and distribution to customers is occurring around the global marketplace www.notesolution.com • Internet offers consumers channel access to a vast selection of supply that a single brick and mortar channel could never stock or offer • New global supply chains that deliver niche products to every corner of the world • Modern channel management: catering to a much greater range of customer preferences and demand • Search engine example of creative destruction Section 5: 3D Customer Focus • Makes common sense to design products and services that fit their features and price to the usage situation • Achieved by designing and ever updating a product line of models or brands whose features are matched with the benefits sought in different usage situations by different users and the major drivers of consumer choice • Second common sense goal of customer segmentation should be to identify how the customer prefers to interact with the company (eg via Internet or telephone etc) • Cont
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit