SOCA01H3 Study Guide - Gender Role, Sex Segregation, Sigmund Freud
ProfessorMalcolm Mac Kinnon
This preview shows pages 1-2. to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Chap. 1, A Sociological Compass
1. The benefit of sociology according to Bob Brym is that it can help create
A. better art
B. meterosexual understanding
C. a happier childhood.
D. the best possible future. *
E. more secure energy supplies.
2. The sociological study of suicide reveals that
A. what is thought to be individual behaviour is actually social behaviour. *
B. only the mentally ill commit suicide.
C. unfortunately, suicide cannot be predicted.
D. what may be the influence of social behaviour is actually the influence of
individual understandings and biography.
E. depression and anxiety are excellent predictors of suicide rates.
3. The ability to see the connection between personal troubles and social structure
A. requires intensive informal training in sociology.
B. can undermine the social order.
C. is what is meant by the sociological imagination. *
D. is Durkheim’s folly.
E. is like crossing the matrix.
Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.
4. That some societal functions are latent means that they are
A. visible only to sociologists.
B. less obvious and unintended. *
C. invisible but intentional.
D. always functional.
E. typically dysfunctional.
5. According to Karl Marx, the most important social structure in any society is the
A. class relations. *
C. social institutions.
D. moral order.
Chap. 3, Culture
6. We live in a social universe full of symbols. Symbols are important because
A. they can be a source of humour.
B. they give linguists their subject material.
C. they allow us to classify and generalize experiences. *
D. they provide an unquestioned foundation of reality.
E. they give a rationale for manifest destiny.
7. William Graham Sumner is best known for his work on which of the following?
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version