Department
Humanities
Course Code
HUMA 1625
Professor
Sherry J.F.Rowley
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Entry 7
In this seventh portfolio entry I will be using the critical skill “What are the survival
strategies?” to explore themes and texts that relate and connect to the course. I will be
demonstrating this critical skill through the themes The Dominant Fantasy of Community &
Culture and The Dominant Fantasy of Education which are exemplified in the film “Bowling for
Columbine” and the story “Jack and the Beanstalk” by Jacobs. The purpose of the critical skill,
“What are the survival strategies?” is to determine the survival strategies in the film and text and
analyze how they are applied.
Firstly, through the film “Bowling for Columbine”, I will be analyzing the theme The
Dominant Fantasy of Community & Culture. Bowling for Columbine is a documentary produced
my Michael Moore focusing on the massacre of Columbine High School. In his documentary
Moore investigates the circumstances of the massacre. He was trying to determine what drives
individual(s) to take such actions. In addition to that, he emphasizes the issue of guns and how
people have such easy access to something so dangerous. Due to the easy access of gun in the
United States the crime rate is higher compared to other countries. In one part of the film we see
how schools have taken extreme measures to prevent such massacres from occurring in the
future. The schools banned kids from having anything that represented a gun or any kind of
weapon. Also kids were not allowed to display any violence towards another individual, or as a
consequence they would be suspended or even expelled. A rule similar to this still exists in
schools today to lower the risk of violence occurring in school; a place of learning.
I have two stories from my own personal experience. Firstly, in grade 11 I took a law
course and our final assignment was a mock trial. We were given a case that dealt with criminal
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version