Study Guides (248,403)
Canada (121,540)
York University (10,191)
Humanities (404)
HUMA 1160 (44)
Final

HUMA 1160 - The Enlightenment and Human Understanding (2nd Exam)

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Humanities
Course
HUMA 1160
Professor
Stanley Tweyman
Semester
Winter

Description
     Descartes – Exam Review QUESTION 2: • Trying to prove what is happening in your mind  ▯ideas that are innate or external;  they are acts that you are doing (thinking, doubting, feeling) • What are these ideas?   ▯Pictures in the mind (like a man or a monster); they are not   abstract, so we act on them • W/ acts: two things happen (give examples for each) ­ Wills: killing (happens in the mind and is silent); no difference between the wills;  happens in the mind so it cannot be wrong; no judgement can be made about one’s  imagination; only ability in the mind that is like God’s ability ­ depends on you, but the reason for feelings can come from outside ­ Judgements: external world; only time I make a connection between something in  my mind w/ the external world; wrongness can be ascribed to this; being spoken out  loud; trying to prove something; its entity is based on a relationship w/ something  outside of you • Difference between actions/judgements: there isn’t a connection between the  external world and the mind  ▯SIMILARITY (put on cheat sheet) ­ difference between my mind and the external world; judgements are the only thing  in the mind that can be false • These things come from: ­ External: idea that your will cannot act upon them; something can be done, but  you cannot prevent them (example: feeling afraid); will cannot change them  (example: cannot will for sunshine) ­ Innate (1+1=2) • Problem: God  ▯can God be a production of our own mind? • There has to be something that is the CAUSE of our existence; must be a reason for  anything; God is the cause, and we are the effects • Can you be the reason of your mental pictures, which you call it, God? • God is the absolute perfection, almighty; ideas are not perfect, so I can be the reason  of everything in the mind; I cannot cause God because I am not absolutely perfect • There must be a reality of an effect (example: since French is my second language, I  cannot be a cause of the effect, which would be speaking French more perfectly than  a French person); effect is always less perfect than God • You are not as perfect, omnipotent or omnibenevolent like God; cannot produce an  idea higher than yourself • Between all the idea that you have in your mind  ▯you cannot be the producer or the  creator of tone of them; concept of God; idea has been put my the creator himself • God puts his signature on all his masterpieces • If one says, “There is no God.” you must believe in a chain of cause and effects; the  chain must end somewhere; must believe in a final cause which is no different w/  God • Final Cause  ▯First Cause • There is no difference between God and Evolution (according to a Cartesian; we are  less perfect than this idea • A human being can be the reason of these ideas, but since a less perfect effect cannot  produce a more perfect cause than itself  ▯producer of the idea of God cannot be me;   must be put into my mind; A PRIORI knowledge like mathematics • Our knowledge is done by steps, God already has this knowledge that we still have  to learn • Every chain must finish at some point; the finishing point is no different than God;  no difference between the parents of Adam and Eve and God • Even God cannot deceive me in COGITO ERGO SUM Question 1: • Prove why you cannot deny cogito and the denial of cogito and denial of truth; self  contradictory • Descartes is self contradicting doubting • Doubting of cogito is self­contradictory • In cogito  ▯no hinder in your way; you are saying “I think, therefore, I am.” • By logic, this sentence cannot be true because the only sentences are true are  sentences where the predicate and subject are the same • “The cat is black.”  ▯the sentence is temporality, cat does not necessarily have to be  black, and the cat doesn’t have to be an animal • sentences are clear and distinct, but they do not tell the truth; needs something that  isn’t a necessity; relies on senses and experiences • must SEE the cat to decide if it is black or not • all the sentences that don’t have a necessity connection between subject and  predicate CANNOT be the ultimate truth. • “My cat is an animal.”  ▯subject and predicate are both the same; animals and being   ca
More Less

Related notes for HUMA 1160

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit