Study Guides (248,280)
Canada (121,450)
York University (10,193)
Psychology (1,203)
PSYC 1010 (410)
Quiz

Intelligence Testing Lecture covering intelligence testing. Topics include: psychological test, history, test-construction, IQ, nature-nurture controversy.

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Psychology
Course
PSYC 1010
Professor
Rebecca Jubis
Semester
Winter

Description
Intelligence Testing Psychological Test A standardized measure of a sample of behaviour. Personality Tests Try to measure different aspects of personality. Mental abilities Tests 1. Intelligence Tests: Used to assess intellectual potential. 2. Aptitude Tests: Used to assess potential of specific types of mental abilities. 3. Achievement Tests: Tests previously learned material. Intelligence is a construct; something intangible. Has to be measured indirectly. Wechsler Wechsler’s definition of intelligence is the capacity to act purposefully, to think rationally, and to deal effectively with the environment. History of Intelligence Tests  1884 – Galton: Measure sensory acuity and physical attributes.  1905 – Binet: Intelligence depends on mental abilities; reasoning, remembering, imagining. - Chronological Age: How old you are. - Mental Age: Referred to a child’s performance on a test, expressed in years, compared to typical performance at that age. - Intelligence Quotient: I.Q. = MA/CA * 100 If MA = CA then intelligence is average If MA > CA then intelligence is above average If MA < CA then intelligence is below average Wechsler’s Deviation I.Q. Score  You take a person’s score and compare it to the scores of other people in the same age group.  Average performance of a given age group is set at 100.  You then see how for a given person’s score deviates from the average score for that age group. Sternberg’s Triarchic Theory (1985 – 1991) Cognitive Perspective  Focuses on the process of I.Q. rather than on the amount. In other words, “How do people use their I.Q.?” Emotional Intelligence (Goleman)  Consists of the ability to perceive and express emotion, assimilate emotion in thought, understand and reason with emotion, and regulate emotion. Test Construction Three Criteria 1. Standardization: A uniform procedure whereby the original test questions are administered to a large group of people i
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit