PSYC 1010
Professor
For short-answer questions
know:
1) the normal distribution
2) self-fulfilling prophesy
3) double-blind studies
4) placebo control group
5) “mystery question” for which I will not ba providing a hint (but i talked about it in
lectures)
(Bits from chapter 6)
Types of learning(Conditioning)
1) Classical conditioning(Pavlov)
2) Operant or Instrumental(Skinner
3) Observational
-Conditioning- something associated with
-Something that there is a third category (observational) and some argue that it can go
into the first two
-Observing what happens to other people and learn from it
Classical Conditioning(Pavlov)
-Take a dog put it in a harness, present it with food and measure the amount of saliva
the dog produced-this led to the basic form of learning which is classical conditioning or
pavlovian conditioning.
- Many elements that are always present and identifiable
- Wanted to know connection between bell and salivating- might be that the dog was
forming a connection between bell when the food was being presented and therefore
caused the salivation
- 1) Unconditional Response (UR)- a response that is automatic or reflexive and that
requires no prior learning
- Itʼs involuntary (important)
- First thing to ask is if the response an automatic one that you have no control over- if
yes no control then it i automatically automatic conditioning Ex. someone blows in eye
and you blink, lemon juice in mouth you automatically salivate, someone jumps behind
door your automatic reaction is to jump
- 2) Unconditioned Stimulus (US)-Stimulus that precedes and elicits (triggers) the UR
- 3) Conditioned Response(CR)-The response elicited by a CS and itʼs identical to the
UR
- 4) Conditioned Stimulus (CS)-any stimulus that is paired with the US and eventually
elicits a CR
- First thing to ask what is the UR? in this case salivation
- Next thing to ask is what is it that naturally triggers the salivation naturally? The food
- (US) Food-> Salivation (UR)
Bell+Food
(CS) bell-> salivation
- bell and food being presented at same time
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

For short-answer questions know: the normal distribution, self-ful lling prophesy, double-blind studies, placebo control group, mystery question for which i will not ba providing a hint (but i talked about it in (bits from chapter 6) Types of learning(conditioning: classical conditioning(pavlov, operant or instrumental(skinner, observational. Something that there is a third category (observational) and some argue that it can go into the rst two. Observing what happens to other people and learn from it. Take a dog put it in a harness, present it with food and measure the amount of saliva the dog produced-this led to the basic form of learning which is classical conditioning or pavlovian conditioning. Many elements that are always present and identi able. Wanted to know connection between bell and salivating- might be that the dog was forming a connection between bell when the food was being presented and therefore caused the salivation.