Self-Assessment 1: 9/25/2013
This self-assessment covers these topics:
• Business Process
• Information Systems and Organizational Strategy
• Data, knowledge management, and business intelligence
• Information systems within organizations
1. An Information system refers to something more than Information
Technology (IT). What are the typical additional components of an
information system other than technology?
People, how they use technology, and follow a particular business processes
2. What do we mean by the term “information silos”? Why do information
silos occur in a business? What is bad about information silos? How can
businesses overcome the problem of information silos?
When information isn’t shared across divisions of company.
Organizational bureaucracy, and sloppiness/inefficiency
Overcome by communicating with cross-functional managers, and used
integrated systems/platforms that people can access information from the
integrated database platform according to their role. Assigning role bases
access to the platform.
3. How does an enterprise resource planning system bring value to a
Enterprise resource planning system integrates all functions of one firm onto one
platform and provides role-based access to detailed information. Solves
communication issues between teams=value
4. Draw the Porter’s five forces framework. Describe how IT impacts the 5
forces in an industry of your choice.
Rivalry- cutting edge technology, what happens to customers, rivals, and
substitutes? (wiki) 5. Explain the organizational strategy of deriving competitive advantage
through differentiation. Provide an example. Describe how a business can