COMM 222 Chapter 3: COMM-222-Chapter-3 Perception

91 views3 pages

Document Summary

The process through which people select, organize and interpret information from their environment. Helps sort out and organize the complex and varied informations received by our senses. We base our actions on our interpretation of reality that our perceptual system provides, rather than on reality itself. Components of perception three components: the perceiver, a target, situational context. Perception of the perceiver is affected by his/her experience, needs, and emotions: past experiences lead the perceiver to develop expectations that affect current perceptions. Our perceptual system seres to defend us against unpleasant emotions. E. g, when we see what we want to see, our perceptual system is working to ensure that we do not see what is threatening: situation. The situation/ context of what is perceived affects our perception. E. g if i hear a racial joke before a racial incident, i will be less offended that i would have been after: the target. The target involves interpretation and addition of meaning.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers