Curriculum and Instruction
Course
EDEC 248
Professor
Lerona Dana Lewis
Semester
Fall

Description
TEEL: A WHITE EDUCATOR’S ONGOING JOURNEY TOWARD COMPETENCE  awareness of white privilege & of racial inequities shifted dramatically Influences on my Thinking  teachers with racial & cultural competence = teachers who embraces students from all backgrounds as equals & who work to understand, support, guide & encourage them  mindset of rigid, ignorant views grows out of lack of familiarity & knowledge of other cultures  a childhood without diversity  not exposed to people of colour  early years of teaching  principal warned her about integration of African Americans  doctoral studies  realized did harm to students she had low expectations of My Research  low achievement of African American students was to a large extent result of kinds of teaching materials & strategies used by their teachers  alternative teaching strategies o noncompetitive, effort based grading system included emphasis on effort, improvement, cooperation, participation & quality of work o multiple performance opportunities that took into account student interests & strengths o increased student responsibility & choice with leadership opportunities for students to serve as TAs o book choices in a reading program that included validation of cultural heritage  alternative teaching strategies extremely effective in raising students’ confidence & motivating them  resistance regular, discipline was quite a problem  had very little in common with African American students/families  perceptions of African
More Less

Related notes for EDEC 248

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit