BLG 144 Chapter Notes - Chapter 29: Harmful Algal Bloom, Carbon Sink, Phytoplankton

70 views8 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Protists are a paraphyletic group that includes all eukaryotes except for land plants, fungi, and animals. Many species are photosynthetic while other obtain their food by ingesting food or being a parasite. Common features of protists is that they usually live in water. A: because they are important medically, ecologically, and evolutionary. Key morphological innovations that occurred as protists diversified: Eukarya- the third domain on the tree of life. Range from single celled organisms that are the size of bacteria to sequoia trees and blue whales. No sy(cid:374)apo(cid:373)orphies defi(cid:374)e protists ((cid:374)o trait that is fou(cid:374)d i(cid:374) a protist that is(cid:374)"t fou(cid:374)d i(cid:374) other organisms) Tend to live in environments where they are surrounded by water. Some protists cause human diseases and diseases in crops (i. e. the irish potato famine) Malaria- the (cid:449)orld"s (cid:373)ost chronic public health problem caused by a parasite protist called plasmodium.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers