FSN 199 Chapter 3: FSNWeek3ReadingNotes

3 Pages

Department
Fashion
Course Code
FSN 199
Professor
Sue Barnwell

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Monday, September 19, 2016
FSN 199 Week 3 Reading Notes
Chapter 1:The Interplay of Commerce and Culture before the First
World War
The Rise of Haute Couture
-elitism in fashion has always been linked closely with status and social class, with success
and with what was perceived to be impeccable taste made publicly visible through dress
-royal courts would use fashion as a mean of publicizing their superiroritym strength and
influence across Europe
-middle class in the 19th century had financial and political power, allowed for more then one
class to afford expensive clothing
-society’s that are changing will produce fashions that are also changing, which stimulates
greater production of consumer goods
-middle class groups trying to emulate fashion of the higher class, forced the higher class to
adopt new tasted to re-establish and maintain their original distance
-the influx of popular culture into mainstream society signalled a shift in the previously held
elitist notion of what constitutes status in society
Charles Fredrick Worth:
CFWorth designed for members of royalty and fitted aristocrats and grand divas of the stage
a number of his garments where displayed in the famous British Great Exhibition of 1851,
which promoted his reputation throughout Europe and enabled him to open his own business
in Paris
invited to create a wedding dress for Alexandrua, Princess of Whales, where he took
advantage to create a new silhouette that changed the direction of fashion for the next 30
years,
he introduced a narrower skirt and bustle back
success of his fashion empire= 1,2000 workers by 1870
he was one of many of the early haute couture designers to recognize the financial
opportunities inherent in the American market
he attracted the attention of wealthy patrons
his clothes were shipper internationally and purchased by department stores such as Sears
Roebuck and Montgomery Ward
his name was often mention in the American Voguem which resulted in the spreading of his
fame to women beyond courtly circles
he expanded his repertoire of clients to include famous singers and actors of the day
recognizing that his garments would be seen by a much wider audience if worn by these
popular figures
The Rise of Consumerism
the rise of the middle class consumer, economic factors implicit in the improved production
systems, mass manufacture, incentive advertising and marketing techniques etc, were
influential in the evolving ‘democratization of fashion’
the availability of ready made clothing for both men and women coincided with the
development of the department stores and these factors were instrumental in the emergence
of a ‘culture of consumption’ that eroded social class barriers

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com Monday, September 19, 2016 FSN 199 Week 3 Reading Notes Chapter 1:The Interplay of Commerce and Culture before the First World War The Rise of Haute Couture - elitism in fashion has always been linked closely with status and social class, with success and with what was perceived to be impeccable taste made publicly visible through dress - royal courts would use fashion as a mean of publicizing their superiroritym strength and influence across Europe - middle class in the 19th century had financial and political power, allowed for more then one class to afford expensive clothing - society’s that are changing will produce fashions that are also changing, which stimulates greater production of consumer goods - middle class groups trying to emulate fashion of the higher class, forced the higher class to adopt new tasted to re-establish and maintain their original distance - the influx of popular culture into mainstream society signalled a shift in the previously held elitist notion of what constitutes status in society Charles Fredrick Worth: • CFWorth designed for members of royalty and fitted aristocrats and grand divas of the stage • a number of his garments where displayed in the famous British Great Exhibition of 1851, which promoted his reputation throughout Europe and enabled him to open his own business in Paris invited to create a wedding dress for Alexandrua, Princess of Whales, where he took • advantage to create a new silhouette that changed the direction of fashion for the next 30 years, • he introduced a narrower skirt and bustle back • success of his fashion empire= 1,2000 workers by 1870 • he was one of many of the early haute couture designers to recognize the financial opportunities inherent in the American market • he attracted the attention of wealthy patrons his clothes were shipper internationally and purchased by department stores such as Sears • Roebuck and Montgomery Ward • his name was often mention in the American Voguem which resulted in the spreading of his fame to women beyond courtly circles • he expanded his repertoire of clients to include famous singers and actors of the day recognizing that his garments would be seen by a much wider audience if worn by these popular figures The Rise of Consumerism • the rise of the middle class consumer, economic factors implicit in the improved production systems, mass manufacture, incentive advertising and marketing techniques etc, were influential in the evolving ‘democratization of fashion’ • the availability of ready made clothing for both men and women coincided with the development of the department stores and these factors were instrumental in the emergence of a ‘culture of consumption’ that eroded social class barriers ▯1 find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com Monday, September 19, 2016 • by the turn of the century there was great abundance and diversity of mass produced merchandise available but the stigma that they were poorly made fashion goods took a long time to dispel • during this time in advertising there was however, greater emphasis being placed on marketing techniques that on the products themselves • three main marketing strategies were developed to promote consumption; museum methods of presentation and display of goods; use of ‘seduction theory’ as a sophisticated psychological marketing approach; and the escalation of mass media advertising The Interplay of Commerce and Culture • merchandised in the display cases if department stores became the treasures of consumerist society • if museums have celebrated and taught the premise of materialism to the public, then the department stores led the way to the modern development of merchandising, this is evident in both the west and the east The Art of Fashion and Advertising • marketing strategists insist that the continuity of the visual section in the fashion industry is based on the desirability
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit