Chapter 3

GMS-Chapter 3.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Global Management Studies
GMS 200
Sui Sui

GMS Chapter 3 Week 3/4 Chapter 3 – Week 3/4  The World : A Business View (Map) – Adjusted by countries GDP  The World : A forward-looking Business View – Adjusted by future business potential (Population)  Why business want to go global i) Profits ii) Customers iii) Suppliers iv) Capital v) Labour  KFC opened in Hong Kong in 1973 but all 11 restaurants closed in two years. i) Self developed logistics and distribution system ii) Implemented a supplier rating system to find supplier that perform best iii) Local food R&D team and a test kitchen iv) Focusing on ownership rather than franchising Theyt adapted their business model .  Refer Figure 3.2 – Common forms of international business – from market entry to direct investments.  Types of Market entry strategies i) Global Sourcing  The process of purchasing materials or services around the world for local use ii) Exporting & Importing iii) Licensing agreement  One firm pays fee for rights to make or sell another company’s products (ex. Coca-Cola bottlers) iv) Franchising  A fee is paid for rights to use another firms name and operating methods (ex.KFC)  Types of direct investment strategies i) Joint Ventures  Operates in foreign country through co-ownership by foreign and local partners ii) Global strategic alliances (HP and Microsoft) iii) Foreign subsidiaries  Local operation completely owned by a foreign firm  Complications in the global business environment i) Political Risk ( War , Bad Government etc.) ii) Local legal systems iii) World Trade Organization iv) Protectionism  The political call for tariffs and favourable treatment to help shelter domestic businesss from foreign competition GMS Chapter 3 Week 3/4  Regional Economic Alliances i) North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)  United States , Canada & Mexico  Favourable trade and customs laws ii) European Union (EU)  European Counties  Euro  Removing trade barriers  Southern Africa Development Community (SADC)  Multinational Corporation (MNC) i) Is a business with extensive international operations in more than one foreign country  Lululemon : 201 stores in Canada , the US , New Zealand and Australia  Transnational corporation ( a type of MNC): (a) MNC operates worldwide on a borderless basis (i) General Electrics (GE) -> 70% foreign assets.  Culture i) The sha
More Less

Related notes for GMS 200

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.