Chapter 8 Notes

6 Pages

Department
Global Management Studies
Course Code
GMS 200
Professor
Jian Guan

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Chapter 8 Planning and Controlling
How and Why Managers Plan
Planning is the process of setting objectives and determining how to accomplish them.
When Planning is done well it creates a solid platform for the other management functions:
organizing allocating and arranging resources to accomplish tasks; leading guiding the
efforts of human resources to ensure high level of task accomplishment; and controlling
monitoring task accomplishments and taking necessary corrective action.
Objectives are specific results that one wishes to achieve.
A plan is a statement of intended means for accomplishing objectives.
Benefits of Planning
Planning improves focus and flexibility. An organization with focus knows what it does
best, knows the needs of its customers, and knows how to serve them well. An individual
with focus knows where he or she wants to go in a career or situation, and is able to retain
that objective even when difficulties arise. An organization with flexibility is willing and able
to change and adapt to shifting circumstances, and operates with an orientation toward the
future rather than the past. An individual with flexibility adjusts career plans to fit new and
developing opportunities.
Planning improves action orientation. Good planning makes us more (1) results
orientated- creating a performance-oriented sense of direction; (2) priority oriented making
sure the most important things get first attention; (3) advantage oriented ensuring that all
resources are used to best advantage; and (4) change oriented anticipating problems and
opportunities so they can be best dealt with.
Planning improves coordination. Good planning throughout an organization creates a
means-end chain or hierarchy of objectives in which lower level objectives lead to the
accomplishments of higher level ones.
Planning improves Time Management. In daily living and in management, it is
important to distinguish between things that you must do (top priority), should do (high
priority), would be nice to do (low priority), and really dont need to do (no priority).
www.notesolution.com
Planning improves control. Without planning, control lacks a framework for measuring
how well things are going and what could be done to make them go better. Without control,
planning lacks the follow-through needed to ensure that things work out as planned.
Planning Theories
Rational Comprehensive Planning (RCP) focuses on a logical decision-making approach and
advocates a holistic approach to problem solving.
RCP uses conceptual or mathematical models that relate ends (objectives) to means
(resources and constraints) with heavy reliance on statistical analysis.
RCP is simple but unrealistic.
Incremental plannings strengths is that, rather than trying to be both rational and
comprehensive, it looks at decision making as it generally occurs quickly and with
imperfect information.
Types of Plans Used By Managers
Short Range and Long Range Plans
Short-range plans cover one year or less, intermediate-range plans cover one to two years,
and long-range plans look three or more years into the future.
Top management is most likely to be involved in setting long-range plans and directions for
the organization as a whole, while lower management levels focus more on short-range plans
that help achieve long-term objectives.
Strategic and Operational Plans
A strategic plan indentifies long-term directions for the organization. Strategic planning by
top management involves determining objectives for the entire organization and describing
what and where the organization wants to be in the future.
An operational plan identifies activities to implement strategic plans. Operational plans
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 8 – Planning and Controlling How and Why Managers Plan Planning is the process of setting objectives and determining how to accomplish them. • When Planning is done well it creates a solid platform for the other management functions: organizing – allocating and arranging resources to accomplish tasks; leading – guiding the efforts of human resources to ensure high level of task accomplishment; and controlling – monitoring task accomplishments and taking necessary corrective action. Objectives are specific results that one wishes to achieve. A plan is a statement of intended means for accomplishing objectives. Benefits of Planning • Planning improves focus and flexibility. An organization with focus knows what it does best, knows the needs of its customers, and knows how to serve them well. An individual with focus knows where he or she wants to go in a career or situation, and is able to retain that objective even when difficulties arise. An organization with flexibility is willing and able to change and adapt to shifting circumstances, and operates with an orientation toward the future rather than the past. An individual with flexibility adjusts career plans to fit new and developing opportunities. • Planning improves action orientation. Good planning makes us more (1) results orientated- creating a performance-oriented sense of direction; (2) priority oriented – making sure the most important things get first attention; (3) advantage oriented – ensuring that all resources are used to best advantage; and (4) change oriented – anticipating problems and opportunities so they can be best dealt with. • Planning improves coordination. Good planning throughout an organization creates a means-end chain or hierarchy of objectives in which lower level objectives lead to the accomplishments of higher level ones. • Planning improves Time Management. In daily living and in management, it is important to distinguish between things that you must do (top priority), should do (high priority), would be nice to do (low priority), and really don’t need to do (no priority). www.notesolution.com • Planning improves control. Without planning, control lacks a framework for measuring how well things are going and what could be done to make them go better. Without control, planning lacks the follow-through needed to ensure that things work out as planned. Planning Theories Rational Comprehensive Planning (RCP) focuses on a logical decision-making approach and advocates a holistic approach to problem solving. • RCP uses conceptual or mathematical models that relate ends (objectives) to means (resources and constraints) with heavy reliance on statistical analysis. • RCP is simple but unrealistic. • Incremental planning’s strengths is that, rather than trying to be both rational and comprehensive, it looks at decision making as it generally occurs – quickly and with imperfect information. Types of Plans Used By Managers Short – Range and Long – Range Plans • Short-range plans cover one year or less, intermediate-range plans cover one to two years, and long-range plans look three or more years into the future. • Top management is most likely to be involved in setting long-range plans and directions for the organization as a whole, while lower management levels focus more on short-range plans that help achieve long-term objectives. Strategic and Operational Plans • A strategic plan indentifies long-term directions for the organization. Strategic planning by top management involves determining objectives for the entire organization and describing what and where the organization wants to be in the future. • An operational plan identifies activities to implement strategic plans. Operational plans www.notesolution.com define what needs to be done in specific functions or work units to implement strategic plans. Typical operational plans in a business firm include: production plans-dealing with the methods of technology needed by people in their work; financial plans-dealing with money required to support various operations; facilities plans-dealing with facilities and work layouts; marketing plans-dealing with the requirements of selling and distributing goods or services; and human resource plans-dealing with the recruitment, selection, and placement of people into various jobs. Policies and Procedures • A policy is a standing plan that communicates broad guidelines for decisions and actions. • A procedure or rule precisely describes actions that are to be taken in specific situations. They are often found stated in employee handbooks or manuals as “SOPs”- standard operating procedures. Budgets and Projects • A budget is a plan that commits resources to projects or activities. They are powerful tools that allocate scarce resources among multiple and often competing uses. • A fixed budget allocates a fixed amount of resources for a specific purpose. A flexible budget allows the allocation of resources to vary in proportion with various levels of activity. • A zero-based budget allocates resources as if each budget were brand new. There is no guarantee that any past funding will be renewed; all proposals compete anew for available funds a
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit