Chapter 3

Chapter 3

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Law and Business
LAW 122
Avi Weisman

Monday September 19 , 2011 Chapter 3 Introduction to Torts Introduction to Tort Law: -Tort = generally consists of a failure to fulfill a private obligation that was imposed by law -Tortfeasor = a “person” who has committed a tort  Example: l owe you an obligation personally not to make defamatory statement about your part, obligation will be broken if I tell your employer that you were once convicted of murder, therefore, I will be a tortfeasor if I break the tort Torts and Crimes: -Tort = private wrong (person breaks private obligation)  breach of obligation to a person  claim by individual plaintiff  usual remedy of compensatory damages ($$$) -Crime = public wrong (person breaks public obligation)  breach of obligation to society  prosecution by Crown  usual remedy of punishment (fine or imprisonment) -both overlap; same event may be both tort and crime (ie a beating: crime of assault, tort of battery) -Examples:  if I hit you, I will commit the tort of battery and the crime of an assult  if I take your car without permission, I will commit the tort of conversation and the crime of theft  if I sneak into your house, I commit the tort of trespass to land and crime of break and enter Torts and Contracts: -sued are the parties to contract -contracts are created by the parties, rather than imposed by law -similarity between torts and contracts: 1. Structure: both involve primary and secondary obligations  Primary: tells people how to act  Example: tort of battery says “do not touch another person in an offensive way”  Secondary: obligation are remedial, they tell people how they must act after primary  the breach of the primary duty creates the secondary obligation  tort : primary duty = do not harm another ; secondary duty = damages  contract: primary duty = fulfill promise; secondary duty = damages -differences between torts and contracts: 1. Source of Primary Obligations:  Is simply imposed by the law, even though you never promised to behave, even if we are complete strangers you must not commit a battery against me  torts: obligations imposed by law (not promises)  contracts: obligations created by the parties Monday September 19 , 2011 2. Privity:  Because obligations in tort are simply imposed by law there is no need for the partied to create a special relationship for themselves, I can sure you for battery even if you never promised to hit me  torts: no need to create a special relationship; imposed duty to others  contracts: only people who can sue or be 3. Typical Compensation:  Compensation is calculated by the difference for both tort and contract purpose is to prevent harm  torts: to be put back in position as if tort never occurred; backwards looking  contracts: to be put in position that was expected once promise fulfilled; forward looking 4. Risk Management:  Obligations sigh contract that are created should never be taken to the parties by surprise  torts: imposed obligations tougher to manage (can take a person by surprise)  contracts: voluntary obligations easier to manage (can limit obligations to promises you know you can fulfill) Types of Torts: -Tort law covers a great deal of territory -Tort law tries to strike a balance between competing interests:  respect efficiency of business vs. compensating consumers  respect freedom of choice vs. discouraging dangerous behaviour  Torts differ on basis of mental culpability: 3 possibilities: 1. Intentional Torts:  occur when a person intentionally acts in a certain way; liable for deliberate act  Example: assault, intimidation, trespass to land  Some torts require proof that the defendant intended to hurt the plaintiff, others are satisfied by proof that the defendant intended to act in a certain way even if they didn’t realize that the plaintiff would be hurt 2. Negligence:  occurs when a person acts carelessly; liability for careless behaviour  balance freedom of action with freedom from harm 3. Strict Liability:  occurs when person does something wrong without intending to do so and without
More Less

Related notes for LAW 122

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.