FRHD 1020 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Indian Register, Midlife Crisis

12 views3 pages

Document Summary

Motivational theories: assume that you choose or determine why and how you do something and example would be rational choice theory. But the value of the thing you"re choosing may be set by society not you. Some argue that we do not make rational/logical choices. Normative theories: assume that social norms predict behaviour and action. Life course theory is an example, there are age regarded norms. Informal norms (not codified or written down) (i. e can"t drink until 19) and stage regarded norms (don"t have kids until you"re married) Fails to explain how norms are developed though. Macro historical theories: forces beyond the individual or society create change i. e historical or evolutionary. Everything we do is predetermined by history or genetics. Functional theories: emphasizes the maintenance of functional institutions and sees social change as a threat to society. Conflict theories: family is a social group which mirrors larger forces in society i. e this is where family violence comes from.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers