Article 23. Posttraumatic GrowthAmongAdolescents
435 mostly Hispanic adolescents who experienced a major life event in the past 3 years
Risk/Protective Factors for Problem:
Risk factors: Females, religion (One’s relationship with God could be questioned), and
depression is not expected to be associated with those with PTG, severity of trauma, time since
Answer 3 questions:
1. Can PTG occur among adolescents?
2. Are the correlates of PTG found among previous studies also evident in this sample?
3. Is substance use associated with PTG?
• PTG is possible among younger age groups with nearly 30% of these participants
indicating at least moderate positive changes stemming from a negative life event.
• PTG represents positive changes stemming from a negative