Premium

7 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 3140
Professor
Jennifer Lewin

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Chapter 3 - Clinical Assessment & Diagnosis
Clinical Assessment - systematic assessment of the biological, psychological and social factors
pertaining to an individual with a possible psychological disorder
Diagnosis - process of determining if the criteria or symptoms are met to have the disorder -
based on DSM 5
Reliability - the degree to which a measurement is consistent
Interrater reliability - when multiple people agree on the same thing
Test retest reliability - the same test is administered twice and the consistency of the
response is checked - should be the same to be reliable
Validity - does the things measure what its supposed to
Concurrent or descriptive validity - comparing results of one test to another that measures
the same thing
Predictive validity - how well does the assessment predict the future
Standardization - a set of standards or norms are used to make an evaluation consistent
EX: asking about symptoms and doing blood work - is a standard that doctors use
Clinical Interview
- Used by psychiatrists, psychologists, mental health professionals etc .
- Ask questions about person's past, current situations, family history, issues about
presenting problem
- Ask about attitudes, emotions, behaviour etc.
Mental Status Exam
- Systematic observation of somebody’s behaviour to determine whether a psychological
disorder is present
- 5 Categories:
Appearance and Behaviour - things like random twitches, general look, posture, facial
expression, slow movement - psychomotor retardation which is associated with
depression
Thought Processes - they way a person talks/ says can show what they are thinking, how
they talk fast or slow, does it make sense or no connection, are they hallucinating, or
delusional, or ideas of reference - everything relates back to them
Mood and Affect - is their person’s affect inappropriate to the situation, is their mood
constantly sad or dull/ angry
Intellectual Functioning - make a generalization about a person's intelligence by how they
respond, are they reasonable, how is their memory, their views/perceptions
Sensorium- general awareness of our surroundings - those with certain issues won’t be
able to recall date time place, they will be a little off and not know whats going on
Semistructured Clinical Interviews
- Certain sets of related questions that are used to diagnose - a standardization
- Anxiety Disorder Interview Scale 5
- Structured Clinical Interview DSM5
- Ask quetions about behaviour/ though emotions
- Checks for : Persistant distress, resistance to the problem/feelings, frequency of the
problem
Physical Examination
- May ask to do a physical check up to see if there are any biological causes behind the
problem
- Some issues like hyperthyroidism can cause anxiety
- Drug use and abuse can also contribute to psychological symptoms
- If certain problem or drug use is associated with the start of the psychological symptoms
then it cant be concluded that there is a disorder because the illness or drug is closely
linked to the emergence of the problem
- If lets say a person had been depressed for 5 years but only recently started taking drugs
then the drugs are not causing this depression since the person has been experiencing
them from before - this could mean they have clinical depression after more testing is
done
Behavioural Assessment
- Goes one step further than mental status exam - looks at the persons behaviour in more
specific situations/contexts
- Observe behaviour at school or workplace
- Good for kids who cant express their thoughts through an interview
- Target Behaviour - what is bothering/triggering the behaviour
ABC’s of Observation
Antecedent - what happened before the behaviiour - or triggered it
Behaviour- behaviour itself
Consequence - what happened after the behaviour

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 3 - Clinical Assessment & Diagnosis Clinical Assessment - systematic assessment of the biological, psychological and social factors pertaining to an individual with a possible psychological disorder Diagnosis - process of determining if the criteria or symptoms are met to have the disorder - based on DSM 5 Reliability - the degree to which a measurement is consistent Interrater reliability - when multiple people agree on the same thing Test retest reliability - the same test is administered twice and the consistency of the response is checked - should be the same to be reliable Validity - does the things measure what its supposed to Concurrent or descriptive validity - comparing results of one test to another that measures the same thing Predictive validity - how well does the assessment predict the future Standardization - a set of standards or norms are used to make an evaluation consistent EX: asking about symptoms and doing blood work - is a standard that doctors use Clinical Interview - Used by psychiatrists, psychologists, mental health professionals etc . - Ask questions about person's past, current situations, family history, issues about presenting problem - Ask about attitudes, emotions, behaviour etc. Mental Status Exam - Systematic observation of somebodys behaviour to determine whether a psychological disorder is present - 5 Categories: Appearance and Behaviour - things like random twitches, general look, posture, facial expression, slow movement - psychomotor retardation which is associated with depression Thought Processes - they way a person talks/ says can show what they are thinking, how they talk fast or slow, does it make sense or no connection, are they hallucinating, or delusional, or ideas of reference - everything relates back to them Mood and Affect - is their persons affect inappropriate to the situation, is their mood constantly sad or dull/ angry Intellectual Functioning - make a generalization about a person's intelligence by how they respond, are they reasonable, how is their memory, their views/perceptions Sensorium- general awareness of our surroundings - those with certain issues wont be able to recall date time place, they will be a little off and not know whats going on Semistructured Clinical Interviews - Certain sets of related questions that are used to diagnose - a standardization - Anxiety Disorder Interview Scale 5 - Structured Clinical Interview DSM5 - Ask quetions about behaviour/ though emotions - Checks for : Persistant distress, resistance to the problem/feelings, frequency of the problem Physical Examination - May ask to do a physical check up to see if there are any biological causes behind the problem - Some issues like hyperthyroidism can cause anxiety - Drug use and abuse can also contribute to psychological symptoms - If certain problem or drug us
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit