• What is a short story?
◦ It's a genre of literature.
• Whats a genre of literature?
◦ Not all genres are clearly distinct.
◦ Todorov – early 20 century Russian theorists. Said a new genre is always a transformation of
one or several old genres. (It never appears out of no where, it's always linked to older genres)
▪ Movies – transformation from films – big screen – youtube
◦ Fowler – Genres can be made from pre-existing forms.Amix-and-match of pieces that are of
a previous style. This is almost done UNCONSCIOUSLY – artists create new genres
unconciously. Thus it's a combination of existing generic material that is small in scale and
diverse in origin.
• The work done in this class:
◦ it involves a retrospective assessment or evaluation – we look at short stories of older times
and identity whether or not it really is a short story, what element does it have that makes it a
short story etc. We then evaluate whether or not the short story is a good one etc.
◦ Finding the origin of short story
◦ Things in a media content may be different at different point in time.
◦ They're not fixed and eternal – they fluctuate over time
◦ classical extreme – every iteration of a short story is its own genre.
▪ Short story – is a genre.
• Gothic is a sub-element of a short story, its also a common group in a short story.
• Gothic as a category evolves over time from pre-modern, to modern, and to post-
modern, and is still ever changing (feminist Gothic after post-modern – feminist-post
• These are all actually genres.
◦ Jameson – all generic c