PSY230H1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Reaction Formation, Personal Unconscious, PreconsciousPremium
This preview shows pages 1-2. to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Psychoanalysis: Freud and Jung
1. Sigmund Freud
▪ Born 1856 in what is now the Czech republic and passed away in
▪ He lived in Vienna, Australia during most of his lifetime and spend his
early education and career in the medical field.
▪ Then he started a private practice focusing on the topic of nervous
- Hysteria: a broad diagnose typically given to women exhibiting a
wide variety of symptoms.
o He thinks that the causes of hysteria is related to traumatic
events that might have occurred in early childhood.
o He thinks what is really going on with these people is that
they were repressing the trauma, which means the patients
mind actively bury this particular memory at the moment of
the trauma in their unconscious so that they cannot access
→ and one way to possibly get access to those memories is
- System of psychotherapy that focuses on uncovering the
unconscious material responsible for a patient’s disorder.
- There are 3 types of psychoanalysis:
1. Free Association
2. Dream Interpretation
3. Language and symbolic behavior
- He argued that dreams were a form a wish fulfillment that the
ultimate goal is to seek pleasure and desires, anything that makes
you feel good. (Ex. Sexual behaviors)
- Objects that appear in dreams can be symbolic, which might be
more personal than universal.
- House – body
King – father
Water – birth
Tree – male genitalia
Balloon – Male erection
Cave – female genitalia
▪ Psychosexual Development theory
Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.
- Oral – often through breast feeding by mother
→ Oral fixation: one that’s either neglected or over-feed could
develop this symptom, which are manifested as nail biting, smoking, oral
sexual practices, alcoholism, etc.
→ Anal retentive: obsessively tidy, punctual and respectful to
→ Anal expulsive: messy, disorganized and rebellious
→ Start being obsessed with their genitals.
→ Being sexually attracted by their opposite sex parent
→ Girls could develop penis envy, wondering why didn’t they have
→ Do not show any sexual interest and start be behave by
understanding morality in society.
→ Sexual impulses return and started to develop attractions to
opposite sex individual.
▪ Theory of the self
- Topographical: the first theory that Freud proposed
→ Unconscious: the memories that is repressed and very hard to
get access to
→ Pre-conscious: the info that wouldn’t be very hard to get access
to (eg. Name, Phone #, etc.)
→ Conscious: the info that you have immediate access to
→ ID – actions are based on pleasure principle and wish fulfillment.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version