Oct 24 Readings/Class Notes - MOS
Module Two – Human Resources Management (HRM)
– HR effects everyone, even managers
1. Employers and employees are constantly at odds.
2. Each party wants the opposite of the other. If given a choice, employers
would employ machines over humans.
3. If given a choice, humans would choose to get rid of machines and do the
Other perceptions from Employer perspective?
Other perceptions from Employee perspective?
Employers are dealing with people who are physically present, but mentally
1) Challenging work.
– Employees want to do work that makes a difference, that they are not just
“cops” in the wheel.
2) Personal Growth
– Want their skills to grow and develop
– Company to invest in their development
– Best companies invest in their people.
3) Work/life balance
– Want a company to understand that their family life is very important -
“work hard, play hard”
– Demographics drive work protocols
4) Positive Environment
- Do not want a stressful, negative environment – this environment breeds
comtempt along with a political mindset.
- Effective companies have an open-door policy
- Want to know where they stand.
- Want a manager who will open and approachable and a company that will
tell them the truth. Employees are resilient. Trust them and of course... $$$
What Employers are Thinking
1. Strong work ethic
- value an employee who understands and possesses a willingness to work
2. Dependable and Responsible
- They want employees who come to work on time and there when they are
supposed to be, are responsible for their actions and behaviour
3. Possess a Positive Attitude - Seek employees who have initiative and the motivation to get the job
done. A positive attitude gets the work done and motivates others to do the
same. It is the enthusiastic employee who creates an environment good will
and who provides a positive role model for others.
- Employers seek employees who are adaptable and maintain flexibility in
completing tasks in an ever changing workplace.
- Employers value employees who maintain a sense of honesty and integrity
above all else.
- Employees who require very little supervision
7. Motivated to Grow and Learn
- Adding value – employers seeks employees who are interested in keeping
up with new developments and knowledge in the field.
8. Strong Self-Confidence
- Employees who recognize their skills and strengths are able to utilize them
in the workplace and require little prodding or supervision to get their work
9. Professional Behaviour
- Employers value employees who exhibit behaviour that is professional at
- Employers value employees they can trust and value their loyalty to the
- Brand loyalty is difficult to maintain these days – the average amount
staying at a company is 5 years. Employers value employees who have
stayed at companies for a long