Law and Business
Course
LAW 529
Professor
Peter Wilson
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter 10 ▯ Privacy Inside and Outside the Workplace • Does not directly affect personal employee information held by provincially  regulated employees in Ontario.  How Wide I PIPEDA’S Application? • Federally regulated • Provincially regulated in the course of commercial activity  Personal Information: factual or subjective information about “an identifiable  individual”, whether recorded or not. Does no extent to the type of information that  appears on a business card: Name, title, business address or business phone number.  PIPEDA’S 10 Principles • Individuals have right to privacy concerning personal information • Organizations have a need to collect, use and disclose info for appropriate  purposes o S.5(3) organizations may collect, use, or disclose personal information  only for purposes that a reasonable person would consider are appropriate  in the circumstances.  1. Be Accountable a. Appoint someone to watch for privacy issues b. Develop and implement policies and procedures to protect personal  information 2. Identify the Purpose of Collection a. Why it is needed and how it will be used b. A list of those to whom it will be disclosed 3. Get Consent  a. Consent MUST be voluntarily given and the individual must be aware of  what is being collected and for what reason b.  S(7) MAY collect without KNOWLEDGE or CONSENT when:  i. Interests of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a  timely manner; medical emergency  ii. Obtaining consent would compromise availability or accuracy  iii. It is for journalistic or literary purposes  iv. Information is publicly available  4. Limit Collection 5. Limit Use, Disclosure, and Retention a. Again s(7) Exceptions i. Compromise availability or accuracy  ii. Could be useful in investigation a contravention of law iii. Used in an emergency  iv. Scholarly or statistic purposes  v. Publicly available  b.  May disclose without knowledge or consent:   i. Lawyer  ii. Purpose of collecting a debt iii. Journalistic, artistic or literary purposes  iv. Required by law v. To assist in an emergency  vi. 20 years after persons death or 100 years after record was made. 6. Be Accurate 7. Provide Safeguards  8. Be Open 9. Give Individuals Access a.  Access   MUST    be DENIED when s.(9):  
More Less

Related notes for LAW 529

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit